Can you bore out an LS1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you bore out an LS1?

Hello again folks! Before I say anything, I want to make it clear that I am not a gearhead (yet) and there is a strong chance at times I may have no clue what I am talking about when it comes to the mechanical components of my Z28.

Now for my question(s)....I want to know if it's possible or advisable to bore out my LS1 350 into a 383. What type of parts would I have to buy afterward? Would this really be worth all the work? Has anyone else done this to their car? Am I just crazy?

Suggestions are welcome!!
    1999 Camaro Z28
    Stock
    Light Pewter Metallic

(For sale soon)

Lingenfelter

Well they do it

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Well, your "350" is only a "346" . And boring is very limited. you can't achieve 383ci with boring alone. I think you can get only 0.010" overbore with the stock sleeves. Remember, the LS1 is an aluminum block with iron sleeves.

You make a 382 with a longer stroke (4.00"). If you want to go to mega cubic inches (they are taking them to 436ci) you need to "resleeve" the engine. Early attempts to sleeve the LS1 block were not very successful, but recently some "name" players are getting into the game, and sleeving for the big inch motors is being done.

Here's a link to an outfit that builds 4.00" stroke 382's, a "big bore" 383, and some larger displacement setups:

Cartek
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

ARE is another top end LS1 engine builder...

ARE 436ci
        95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

any suggestions on a top end LT1 engine builder?
          1993 Formula - 99k
          Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Comment

it can be done, and actually today im getting my quotes on the stroker kit for the motor, total cost and everything, so when i find out i'll let ya know
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
            Traded in: 1998 Z28
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

I talked to my mechanic today, he said 4 grand to stroke it out to a 383 with all parts n labor.
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
              Traded in: 1998 Z28
              http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

The October issue of Chevy High Performance has an article on a 452ci buildup on a C5-R block..... the block is $6,200 from GM. Total cost of the engine was $25K. 554HP @ 5,617rpm, 577ft-lb @ 4,400rpm. The torque starts above 400ft-lb at 1,200rpm!!!
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                X