Help with axles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with axles

Turns out my rough idle was caused by most of my spark plugs going bad. The vibration that I've been feeling on the highway is due to bent axles. Where, aside from junkyard, can I find new axle shafts. They want to charge me $700-800 to do it. What do i need to change the axle shafts. I have the Chilton's and Haynes manuals and it doesn't seem that hard but there seems to be a lack of "when you replace this, also replace this because it will be destroyed by removal". Hopefully the weather will warm up just enough to do this soon or maybe i'll make friends with someone who has a big garage.
    1989 TA
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
    K&N CAI
    Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Well, this place really is a wreck yard, but I've gotten an axle shaft from them before, and plan on getting another here real soon.

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

And yes, it is fairly simple to change it out. I changed mine out in the parking lot of a hotel and only took a couple of hours. Next one should only take about an hour or so.
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

replacing axle shafts are easy...40 minute job per side. If you can do brakes...axle shafts are just as easy...

I did my passenger side...everyone recommended for me to do it on my own...and I'm glad I did...not hard at all.

I got an axle shaft for 220...from transmission wholeseller in GA...Jeff 95 Z28 recommended them...can't remember what the name.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
      Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
      B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
      Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
      Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

You can get a brand new pair of Moser c-clip axles for the 7.5" 10-bolt for $225.

http://www.gearsareus.com/GearsAreUs...erproducts.htm

The worst part of replacing them is pulling the cover off the rear end and dealing with the smelly lube.

For $600, you are getting into the territory of a pair of Mark Williams ultra-strong, ultra light weight gun-drilled axles.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks for the help. I'll post later when I have the axles. Might have a coupla questions then.
          1989 TA
          Flowmaster exhaust
          Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
          K&N CAI
          Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

Working...
          X