switching an auto for a 6spd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching an auto for a 6spd

hey, i just want to know approx how hard it would be to switch a z28 auto transmission for a 6spd. i also want to know how much it would cost. if i do go along with this plan, i would probably be doing the work myself, at my friends shop, they know more than me so they could probably help me out, thanks in advance for any help

There are a few online guides available for the swap. You should be able to get a complete conversion "kit" from one of the F-Body junk yards for aout $1,500. You will need to have the PCM reflashed with the M6 program, so that adds to the cost. The difficult areas appear to include mounting the pedal assembly under the dash, cutting the hole in the firewall and mounting the master cylinder, and cobbling up the electronics so you avoid codes.

When I went to the TH-400, I sold my complete M6 setup as a conversion package for $2,300.... T56, steel flywheel Street Twin, clutch hydraulics, nylon ballistic wrap for the bell housing, Pro 5.0 shifter, skip shift eliminator. We were supposed to "swap" pedal assemblies, but I was so far ahead in the conversion that I had to simply remove my clutch pedal and weld on the correct pad for the wider brake pedal.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Instructions for a 4th gen F-body http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm
      Kits http://www.tennesseeauto.com/t56trpaandki.html
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
      X