How much for labor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for labor?

I need to put in a solid spacer, and get my gears in the rear end realigned. I was guessing this would cost around 200-300 bucks, but when I went to a shop to get an estimate they said it would be about 600, just for labor!!! I just got rear work done, and I don't remember it being that much. Is that really a decent going rate for rear work? Also if anyone knows of a good shop in/around Chicago I would love to test their business.
    '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

That sounds a little high to me. A buddy of mine got some gears installed in his 84 firebird a couple months back, if i remember correctly, like $150 for labor costs. I know many places to go to near chicago, some are good, bad, and ugly. The ugly being very good shops, but they charge an arm and a leg. The bad being low prices, but poor quality service. The good being low charges + good service. Young technicians that maybe just got out of school that have to work in a cheap small shop but actually can turn a wrench good.

The small shops like that here in the chicagoland area are a dime a dozen, through trial and error i know which ones are good. I wont have computer access until next work week, and im leaving work soon, but if you are still interested, i can give you a couple places. The ones of the top of my head are...

Denny's automotive in franklin park (not 100% sure if they do gears)
    Delta auto center in berwyn

If you want to wait though, ill ask my friend where he had his done. Superb job might i add as well. He got richmond 3.73's...no whine...very quiet in sound...quick...good prices.
    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

I only found one shop to go to (A speed shop I don't like to begin with, but they're the only one I found to do it).

350. I said what does that include? "Uhh, labor." Like a smart ace. So I have to pay around 200+ for the gear, 350 for labor, and then another 100+ (Guess) to have my speedo calibrated. I don't think so.... Way too much just for a gear. I would shop around, 600 sounds way too high.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I had a ring and pinion, install kit, new bearings, seals, etc. for $300 not including the price of the parts that is.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys...I knew that sounded a bit steep...plus the look on his face when he told me. I bet he thought I was a college student that gets money from mom and dad and doesn't care how it gets spent. That's why I hate going into shops by myself...I just look way too young and dumb I guess.

Originally posted by 95TransAm
          If you want to wait though, ill ask my friend where he had his done. Superb job might i add as well. He got richmond 3.73's...no whine...very quiet in sound...quick...good prices.
          I have pleanty of time. I won't be getting the work done until I get my tax refunds back so it's no real big rush. I'd love to get referred to a place where someone has actually had first hand experience with them. Thanks for all the help.
          '95 White Z28 M6 Cold air intake with K&N air filter, air foil, flowmaster cat-back, eaton posi, motive 4.10s, aluminum driveshaft, "skip shift" eliminator, '97 Z28 chrome wheels, hypertech programmed

Comment

Working...
          X