Full Throttle lacks power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Throttle lacks power

I have an 86 Firebird V8 (305, carbed). When i go full throttle after the engine is warm the engine doesn't rev up, instead it bogs down and sounds like its about to die. When i let off the throttle a little and go 3/4 throttle it then revs up and takes off with alot of power. When the engine is cold and i go full throttle it works perfectly (i know this is horrible for the engine) and it revs freely and shifts where it should all the time having complete power. This tells me that it probally isnt the tranny, and is possibly the carb. Since it works when it is cold but not when it is hot it makes me think it may be that my fuel mixture is off. The engine also floods when i burnout which makes it die and i have to start it again.

Can anyone help me?

i would say either the carb or a vacuum problem. is it a four barrel or 2??
    89 305 TBI Camaro RS

http://members.cardomain.com/camarodude89

Comment

as far as vacuum problem, a couple of vacuum hoses arnt connected but i cant figure out where they go, any suggestions on figuring this out?

Comment

I had 84 with the LG4 5.0 4bl carb, I remember once I damged some of the vacuum lines goign to the carb, when it would start it would ilde rough and die and when in gear it would die, so I had to keep my foot on the gas at higher rpms to keep it idling at a stop light. Eventualy I found the broken line, and it was fine after that. Just my experience with it.
        Maybe it leans out too much once it gets colder. THose Rochester carbs where a PITA becasue of the early computer controls. I know my sensors where all screwed up on it. But when adjusted correctly the car would run fine. Just check all your connections to it, is the check engine light on?
        1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
        "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by stope
          as far as vacuum problem, a couple of vacuum hoses arnt connected but i cant figure out where they go, any suggestions on figuring this out?
          There should be a sticker on your hood that shows you where most of the vacumm lines go, but if you can't find it or it's missing (I wouldn't be surprised ), than buy a Chilton's manual from an auto parts store for 82-92 Firebirds. Haynes manuals don't have vacuum diagrams, for some reason.

And, since you own a 3rd gen, make sure to check out www.thirdgen.org . You may be able to find a vacuum diagram there, along with tons of info on anything you'd every want to know about your 3rd gen.
          1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
          Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
          Trans: TH700R4
          Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Hey if you need a manual I have about 5 of them, one for specific years 82-84, excellent condition.
            1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
            "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Look what I found :

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/g...3d80163817.gif

That should be the right vacuum diagram, unless you live in Canada.
              1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
              Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
              Trans: TH700R4
              Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
              X