Scary Camaro Moment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Camaro Moment

I recently moved to Green Bay, Wisconsin. People at work have been teasing me (in a good natured way) about the Camaro, saying I'm gonna put it in the ditch when the roads get icy....but I had one worse than that the other day. I could have easily been killed & become another statistic

We had our first big snow - 7 inches - and i was driving here in town. The side roads were all snow covered...but i noticed that the highway was more clear. I decided to take the highway home thinking it would be easier than the other roads. So I'm driving along on highway 41 - its 2 lanes each direction with a grassy median that dips in the middle just like an Interstate. I forgot how fast i was going, probably 50 or 55. All of a sudden with no warning, after crossing an overpass, I lost control. I wasn't doing anything like changing lanes or braking - just steady driving. And the back end just went out like that. I did a 360...a couple cars behind me hit their brakes and stayed back..

But thats not all. When i finished the turn I must have caught the edge of the road - which had snow - and I was somehow propelled diagonally across the median! I could NOT stop! I was surprised that the dip in the grass or a rock or something didn't stop the car but I shot across and into the southbound lanes. A car travelling southbound must have been alert and he got out of my way....when i came back onto the pavement I STILL could not stop though I may have been going a little slower...and i was headed ACROSS both lanes. On the outside there was an embankment, a grassy hill leading down to the exit ramp and i was headed right for the hill. I desperately tried turning the wheel, and I did ANOTHER 360 and ended up on the embankment where some soft grass stopped the Camaro when the wheels dug into it as I slid sideways. I stopped with the car on the hill, facing the road. Then everyone else continued on....

A guy with a pickup stopped and he had a tow rope that he hooked up to the frame and tried to pull me out of the deep rut but it broke his tow rope.... So we decided that it would be easy for the Camaro to slide backwards down the hill toward the exit ramp where it took some wheel spin to get back onto pavement.

So I went from the the right lane of the northbound clear across to beyond the right lane of the southbound, spinning wildly out of control several times in the process.....and after all of this there isn't a scratch on the Camaro.

Had there been more traffic...or a truck......I would have had a head on crash or caused a multi car/truck jacknife/head on mess....in which case I'd probably be dead right now.

I think that when i passed over the overpass it had probably froze...I dont know if any other car would have been any better? If that had happened in an SUV I would have done multiple rollovers. Damn its scary when you have no control and not a damn thing you can do about it!!!!!

winter sucks.
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

Winter driving can be tough, thats for sure. Very glad to hear you were not injured and that the car was OK too.

I see your sig shows that you are from Alabama. Was this your first time in the snow? If it was or if you are not experienced with winter driving, I strongly recommend you get a different "winter" car (a good FWD or four wheel drive car) or......if you must drive your Camaro get four good winter tires on that thing. I used to live in Ohio and now I live in Charlotte. Folks down here in the south just don't understand what it takes to drive in bad weather. That's not a rap on anyone, but without much of a chance to learn, they just don't do well at all in winter conditions of snow or ice. In fact I would rather drive in a raging snow storm in the north with experienced drivers than even venture out down here when the roads get a little slick.

It sounds to me that even though the roads may have been clear, the bridge had ice on it. That's a common problem far too often. You have to cross bridges very gingerly unless you know they have been salted. Now back to your car.........if you have traction control on your car, you stand a fighting chance of being able to use it if you put on four winter tires. If you don't have TC you will probably not be able to get around very well at all. I was unable to use a lot of my RWD cars with any kind of confidence in the North no matter what I did to them for winter. The old muscle cars like my Chevelle SS396 were so front heavy anyway that even with studded snow tires and positraction they still wouldn't go!! Anyways, the choice is yours. Just be carefull out there!
    Dave S
    2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Some people in the south can drive in the snow. I love it.

Whenever I cross a bridge that might have ice on it I put it in neutral and let it coast. Any acceleration or deceleration can cause the backend to let go.

Oh and glad you're OK. I guess you went and found some toilet paper shortly there after.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

That's the problem with wide performance tires in the ice/snow. They float on top rather than bite though the slush. If you intend to continue driving the car in the stuff, you'll need a more narrow, dedicated snow tire to have some degree of safety. that way the tires have more weight over a smaller contact patch and can cut through the buildup. Glad you were lucky.

Comment

Glad the you and the Camaro are safe

I've tried my bird in the winter and it got stuck every where. I have an '01 Intrigue for dedicated winter use, its got traction control, heated seats, and FWD cant beat that.

1994 Firebird Formula 138,000 Completly Stock

1995 Caprice 9c1 61,000
          2001 Intrigue GL

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            That's the problem with wide performance tires in the ice/snow. They float on top rather than bite though the slush. If you intend to continue driving the car in the stuff, you'll need a more narrow, dedicated snow tire to have some degree of safety. that way the tires have more weight over a smaller contact patch and can cut through the buildup. Glad you were lucky.
            I was just getting ready mention that. I had to drive one winter in my '97 commuting from Monument, CO 7,300 ft to Denver. Anyhow, I bought the 245/50/16 BFG KDWS tires, and I never had a problem. I spent most of my life in the snow so that helps a lot. I always made it home even when the 4 wheel drive and FWD cars were getting stuck. If you are going to drive in the ice and snow, set your car up for it with the right tires...keep the speeds down on ice, and you should be fine. There is nothing worse then having the wrong tires. I was caught in a blizzard last September coming back from Vegas going over Vail and the Eisenhower Tunnel on I70. The 315/35/17s on the back of the T/A were awful. I made it over the passes with a lot of coercion, adjusting, and throttling the car, but it was bit scary (even for me.)
            '77 K5 rock-crawler project
            '79 T/A: WS6, 400 4sp, 40K miles; Completely stock and original
            '87 Lifted 3/4 ton Suburban (Big Blue) plow truck
            '94 Roadmaster Wagon (The Roadmonster) 200,000 miles and still going
            '97 T/A: (SLP 1LE Suspension, SB, & sfc(s), Loudmouth); 4.10s; B&M Ripper; R/A Hood; ZR1s
            My daily drivers: '06 Jeep Liberty CRD (wife); '01 Yukon Denali XL (me); '03 Stratus Coupe (me)

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
            Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I also had an issue a few years back with my Formula. It was a clear November morning when I left the house for work, so I took my car instead of my truck. Mid day the snow started and it didn't let up. I had to get my Daughter from dance practice and on the way home I was going slow and all of a sudden the car just did a 360 while I was coasting down a hill. Thank god that it happened in a intersection which was empty as I would of ended up in the ditch. I have a set of 225/60-16 snows on my wifes 2002 v6 firebird and that seems to make a world of difference. We also are lucky to have 4 vehicles and don't have to drive the birds in bad weather..

Get some snows and you won't believe the diffence.

Gary94Formula
              2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
              1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
              2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
              2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
              2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Glad your OK, scary scenario!!....I drove my Camaro thru 8 Canadian winters and never got stuck using 4 snows (I used 225/55/16) on steel rims. You must adjust your driving to the weather/road conditions for sure.
                95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

glad you and your car is alright. I would get a beater winter car. I have a jeep with a ton of miles on it but it does a great job in snow.
                  99 Black WS6
                  99 Black Ski-Doo Mach Z
                  94 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comment

I guess ill add my vote for a new winter car......

These f-bods are not meant to be driven in the snow. As soon as you hit a little ice, that rear end will just walk out from behind you without warning. Or, if the wide tires catch the slush, its all over......

Do yourself a favor and buy a 500 dollar winter rat.....its really worth it just to keep your car out of the snow and salt. One winter is enough to take a nice rust free f-body and turn it into a rust bucket P.O.S. Five hundred bucks towards a winter rat is well worth it if you think of it as protecting your investment....not to mention your life. Once novermber rolls around, my bird is parked in the garage for four months
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

+1 on the winter beater. I hate having the T/A sit but it is so nice not having to drive it in the snow. I did last year and it sucked big time.
                      Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                        I guess ill add my vote for a new winter car......

These f-bods are not meant to be driven in the snow. As soon as you hit a little ice, that rear end will just walk out from behind you without warning. Or, if the wide tires catch the slush, its all over......

Do yourself a favor and buy a 500 dollar winter rat.....its really worth it just to keep your car out of the snow and salt. One winter is enough to take a nice rust free f-body and turn it into a rust bucket P.O.S. Five hundred bucks towards a winter rat is well worth it if you think of it as protecting your investment....not to mention your life. Once novermber rolls around, my bird is parked in the garage for four months

Word! That's why their called beaters. If I were up north in the snow, I would find the most dented up POS and let the salt do it's thing, not to mention every other clueless driver that will eventually run into you.

Comment

Bruce,
                          I live just about 35 miles south of you.. believe me I TOTALLY understand about driving up here.. so that is why I parked my Z for the winter.. the last thing in the world I would want to happen is to wreck or worse in that car. I have a 95 POS cavalier that I drive in the bad winter.. you can pick one of those up for less than 2 K if you buy it privately... WI winters ain't nothing to toy with.. they WILL get you hahahahaha.. When it gets warm we will have to get together with a couple of guys and go for a cruise

AL

1995 Z28 M6 Ragtop
                          Mods are:
                          18X9 1/2 ZO6 rims
                          Hot Wheels steering wheel cover
                          Hurst Classic Shifter Ball with 6-speed pattern
                          K&N CAI , I LIKE IT!! it REALLY does make a difference!

more pictures of the hooptie

Comment

Originally posted by SFC AL
                            When it gets warm we will have to get together with a couple of guys and go for a cruise
                            Count me in. Spring cruises rule.
                            Tracy
                            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                            Current Mods:
                            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                              Whenever I cross a bridge that might have ice on it I put it in neutral and let it coast. Any acceleration or deceleration can cause the backend to let go.
                              That's exactly how you do it. I may or may not put it in neutral, but even on slow turns its very wise to just let our cars coast. I too don't have a winter beater and have to drive the t/a, and it's not fun sometimes. Last week we got a decent snow here in chicago, and i'll tell you it took me 45 minutes for a 20 minute drive. It's always fun stopping at a red light, and when it's time to go, you give it the least imaginable throttle, and you start going sideways before forwards, and dont get decent traction until a block down the road.
                              Slow starts, slow stops, coasting on turns, and watch out for those bridges ! Another thing to watch out for is black ice (even though it's darn near invisible). Get used to your roads and know where it's common to have slicker areas.
                              I'm glad to hear you and the camaro came out of it and that no one was hurt.

Stay safe and happy holidays
                              chris
                              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Working...
                              X