rear end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end

Does anyone see any problems with putting a 2001 rear end in a 95? It is a non ASR rear end. It comes with brakes. I'm also getting the front rotors, spindles, calipers for it off an LS1.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

The rear brake caliper brackets changed at one point. Im not sure of the year, but you may want to look into that. Unless your getting the rear calipers off the LS1 too. I know this because Moser sent me the wrong caliper brackets for my 12 bolt and after pressing on the axle bearings, I tried to bolt my calipers on and.......no go. So, off came the brand new bearings to put the right brackets on....
    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
      The rear brake caliper brackets changed at one point. Im not sure of the year, but you may want to look into that. Unless your getting the rear calipers off the LS1 too. I know this because Moser sent me the wrong caliper brackets for my 12 bolt and after pressing on the axle bearings, I tried to bolt my calipers on and.......no go. So, off came the brand new bearings to put the right brackets on....
      Thanks for the reply. They are supplying the brake calipers and rotors too. It's complete.

I guess there isn't anything else to be concerned about. I pick everything up this afternoon. T56 conversion kit, LS1 al drive shaft, complete rear end, front rotors, spindles, and calipers. I have a Hurst billet shifter and roller pilot bearing on order to be delivered tomorrow. I have my work cut out for me.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Let us know how it turns out

Coming soon: A Firebird graphic opposite the Camaro graphic-

Comment

I put a 2002 Z28 rear end in my 95 Formula. I did not switch over the brakes, so I did have to use the 95 caliper mounting brackets. You should not have any problems. Good luck.

Comment

Well I'm back from getting all the parts. I still have a few items to get. I need flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, throw out bearing, and pigtail for the reverse lights. But I have to say that I think I got a pretty good deal from Scott at Tennessee auto parts. The guy is LS1 nuts. He put a LS1 in a 80s El Camino, 70 something truck and some even older truck. He found a Hurst shifter out of I think a 2001 Firehawk and threw it in to the pile of parts I got. Now I have to return the one I ordered that is to be delivered tomorrow. Oh joy. And it is supposed to be 18 degrees here in the morning. Ugh

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
              W And it is supposed to be 18 degrees here in the morning. Ugh

Youre doing this OUTSIDE? I hope youre at least in the garage with a heater

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck!
              96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
              11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                Youre doing this OUTSIDE? I hope youre at least in the garage with a heater

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck!
                Well I have a carport. It's still open on 2 sides though. I was thinking about wrapping it in clear plastic and using my 20,000 BTU heater. It's hard to get anything to stick to the brick though.

OK so I have another rear end question. I picked up the rear end yesterday and I'm wondering if I got the correct one. It's sitting on jack stands and if I hold the yoke from turning and I turn one axle the other axle rotates very easily in the opposite direction. I tried this on the one in my car and you can't turn an axle if the yoke is not turning (at least by hand) (emergency brakes not on). Now I thought you could not do this with a limited slip rear end. I think I got a rear end out of a 6 cylinder not a V8 car. How can I tell by looking at it without taking the cover off.

Comment

Working...
                X