Fixin up the ole SS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixin up the ole SS

Way back in the day when my dady was 18 he bought a 68 chevelle ss 396 4speed munci, white with a black pin stripe. He made a very stupid decision to sell the 396 and put a 327 in there for better mpg. He gained about 2mpg and lost a bunch of power. On top of that if we had that original motor then the car would be all original. Basicly now its just there. The original paint is showing a tad bit of rust but not too bad. The engine needs tuning, it needs new mufflers because the glass packs have holes rusted in them. This car is going to be mine "one of these days." What I want to know is how much is this all gonna cost. We have 2 complete 396's in my basement, so we just need rings and gaskets. New exhaust would be great and the big thing is a paint job. Suspension isnt a priority but I would love to get rid of that wheel hop. Also both front seats have tears, big tears. I need to know the price to get them apolstered (how ever you spell it)

just go to www.yearone.com for anything u need that has rust or needs 2 be replaced and for the wheel hop just get some lakewood traction bars as for the motor it all depends what u want. take good care of that chevelle
    1967 Camaro "Project"
    1972 Chevelle "454"
    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

I will try my best to fix it up because its my 2nd baby. I would really like to put that torque monster 396 back in it. The 327 isnt junk by any means cause it has 11.5 to 1 compression and cam and heads on it. I wouldnt exactly put it up against my Z though. I have some pics of the chevelle but I need somebody to host them before I can post them.

Comment

To fix it up properly, the bodywork and paint will cost around least $3,000.

The interior will cost another $1,500 for new seatcovers, carpet and doorpannels.

I would imagine the 396 you have needs a rebuild. I would set aside another $750 to go through it well.

You'll want to have the suspension components blasted and repainted. Reassemble with new shocks/bushings and all new front end components too. New brakes & tires will also be nice to complete the job.

I'd guess you'll spend between 5-7 grand doing it nice, but not fully restoring it.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
        X