Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penny for your thoughts - dialogue with prospective buyer

"Originally Posted by XXXXXXX
    what is your bottom dollar for a very quick sale? I'm ready to buy but there are several cars like yours available with more mods and less money. Let me know
    thanks
    joe

-----------------

$18.5K

If you have links to cars of the same year, same or less mileage, let me know and I will see if I can match the price.

From what I have seen, it's rare to find an '02 with the owner asking under $20K.

...But I'm willing to negotiate a bit if I see what I am up against."

"Originally Posted by XXXXXXXX
    where is the car located now? I'm definately really interested. If it come down to it I will provide you with some links of your competition. I do know however without much hassle I would be willing to offer $18k. And I allready have the funds ready.
    let me know
    thanks

------------------------

I'm in the Detroit area.

Obviously, you'll need to see and drive the car before anything is finalized. If we start negotiating from 18.5K -- meaning you come up here, and then you can show me why the car is not worth 18.5K, then I am willing to negotiate from there.

But as is, I have a dealership offering me $17K for it. $1.5K above a dealer trade is an insanely good deal for a private party sale. Have you looked at KBB? $18.5K is what dealer trade is, and about $2K below where a private party sale is.

If that turns you off, that's fine. Someone else will take it. But you are going to have to show me why the car isn't worth $18.5K before I back down any more.

If you want some high-res pics, I'll be happy to provide you with them, and we can negotiate form there."

---------------

So... to my f-buds............

What's some of your input? Is this something I should be more receptive to?

I looked at all the other threads and cars this guy has inquired about, and the only one asking less than I am is a '99. All of the 01 and 02s are asking the same or more. I am the cheapest asking price of any '02 that I have seen. I don't think I am off base here... but should I be more receptive to his offer?
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Be receptive, but don't bend over backwards. You're already asking less than others in your category, and it hasn't been for sale long, so don't feel pressured to grab the deal. That being said, are you ready to let a deal fall through over $500? If the guy wants it that bad, he'll come up $500. And if you want to sell it that bad, you'll go down.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
      Be receptive, but don't bend over backwards. You're already asking less than others in your category, and it hasn't been for sale long, so don't feel pressured to grab the deal. That being said, are you ready to let a deal fall through over $500? If the guy wants it that bad, he'll come up $500. And if you want to sell it that bad, you'll go down.
      I'm pretty firm at the 18.5K... I KNOW there has to be a buyer out there for that. Might take a little longer to find him/her... but I am sure I can do it.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
        I'm pretty firm at the 18.5K... I KNOW there has to be a buyer out there for that. Might take a little longer to find him/her... but I am sure I can do it.
        As I've said before Jay, you can always wait til spring too. No reason to rush into a deal that's not what you want.
        Dave M
        Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
          As I've said before Jay, you can always wait til spring too. No reason to rush into a deal that's not what you want.
          You made a very good point there. And I am definitely going to wait until all the employment hullabaloo comes to a conclusion before I make any other purchases... things are just too up in the air right now for me to bite into another 5 year buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
            You made a very good point there. And I am definitely going to wait until all the employment hullabaloo comes to a conclusion before I make any other purchases... things are just too up in the air right now for me to bite into another 5 year buy.
            atta boy! For what it's worth, IMHO you were getting jerked around by someone trying to play you into a bidding war so he could buy a local car cheaper. The internet isn't where you'll get your price. Most times, it will take a local person who drives the car and falls in love with it. If it were me, I would spend the winter months detailing the car to perfection and when it comes out of hibernation, then go fishing for a buyer if you must. Another point, if I were looking for a late model WS6 for myself, the fewer the mods, the more likely I am to consider it. Why? Mods= run harder. I would prefer a strong example of a bone stock car. Then I can add whatever mods I want, not what someone else has already done. With vettes, the value of the cars is higher when stock. In order to find the true value of vettes, take a modded car's asking price and deduct what it would cost to put it back to stock. You might consider even putting yours back as close to stock as possible and selling off the speed parts. You might come out ahead.

BTW, does this mean that I now can buy the car for $18,499.99 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
              atta boy! For what it's worth, IMHO you were getting jerked around by someone trying to play you into a bidding war so he could buy a local car cheaper. The internet isn't where you'll get your price. Most times, it will take a local person who drives the car and falls in love with it. If it were me, I would spend the winter months detailing the car to perfection and when it comes out of hibernation, then go fishing for a buyer if you must. Another point, if I were looking for a late model WS6 for myself, the fewer the mods, the more likely I am to consider it. Why? Mods= run harder. I would prefer a strong example of a bone stock car. Then I can add whatever mods I want, not what someone else has already done. With vettes, the value of the cars is higher when stock. In order to find the true value of vettes, take a modded car's asking price and deduct what it would cost to put it back to stock. You might consider even putting yours back as close to stock as possible and selling off the speed parts. You might come out ahead.

BTW, does this mean that I now can buy the car for $18,499.99 ?

Yeah, I know the mods can decrease the value. But to the right buyer they can probably increase it to... basically, I took a "niche car" and made its niche even smaller by modding it. I still have most of the stock parts, except the cat-back. That got tossed. The stock manifolds and y-pipe are at my college buddy's house, and I kinda wonder if he still has them lying around or not.

Long story short, I don't think I can return it to stock

The guy I posted that conversation with is now thinking about flying up to see the car...

Joe, for you, I could let it go for $18,499.99

Comment

Working...
              X