tranny conversion kit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny conversion kit?

where are some places to get a conversion kit for a th400 on a 95 z-28 t-56. I'm looking to spend around $3000. I'm looking for the tranny, converter, yoke, torque arm, tranny cooler, speedo sensor, and crossmember? Any suggestions?
    1995 z-28, six speed, centerforce d.f clutch, moser4:10,afr heads, zz-409 cam,full tubes w/ c.o.,nx direct port kit-150shot,hoosier qtp's
    dyno
    NA -356 rwhp, 360ft/lbs
    N20 -510rwhp, 521ft/lbs

I did the T56->TH400 conversion, and offset a lot of the cost by selling my T56, Street Twin, Pro-5.0, and nylon ballistic bellhousing blanket as a T56 conversion package for $2,300...... .

To my knowledge, there is no TH400 "kit" available. You need a lot of individual pieces. I purchased:

-race prepped TH400
    -B&M SFI flex-plate/bolts
    -ATI custom converter
    -JW Ultra Bell
    -ATI manual reverse pattern valve body
    -B&M Pro-Ratchet shifter, with T-handle and push-button
    -TCI SFI-rated aluminum case shield
    -Perma-Cool fan assisted cooler, with braided SS lines
    -Lokar dipstick
    -GM stock deep pan with drain plug
    -AutoMeter trans temp gauge/sensor
    -Chevy truck VSS sensor and reluctor gear
    -Mark Williams 3" chrome moly driveshaft

Tranny cross-member was made by adding an extension to my T56 cross-member.

Clutch pedal was removed, and a wider pedal backing pad added to the brake pedal.

I already had a Spohn torque arm

Stock T56 console and boot fitted to B&M shifter

Wiring accomplished using M6 harness components for B/U lights, neutral lockout switch and VSS

PCM reflashed with A4 program to get the correct VSS pulse recognition. No effort to "false" the PCM A4 interfaces..... if you don't, you get the SES light and multiple codes, but I only use my stock PCM for VSS and idle air control.

Eventually, I got tired of listening to the engine buzzzzzz along at close to 4,000rpm at 70mph (4.11 gears), and added a Gear Vendor O/D unit to drop the revs closer to 3,000rpm at 70mph.

As far as any "ready made" parts, Madman Racing will sell you a cross-member, and he has a dipstick kit that is way better than the Lokar, since the Lokar ends up under the cowl. BMR is also making some tubular cross-members... I know they have one for the TH350 and the Powerglide. But everything else is buy it yourself and assemble it or have it assembled/installed.

You might be able to come in under $3,000 if you can sell your T56 setup for the typical $1,500. You could save some by not getting things like the JW Ultra Bell and TCI case shield, if you aren't planning to pass NHRA Tech for ET's into the 9-sec range.

Shifter install (looks "rusty" because I bought it used):

Before Gear Vendor:

After Gear Vendor (and another driveshaft):

Cooler:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Juicedz
      where are some places to get a conversion kit for a th400 on a 95 z-28 t-56. I'm looking to spend around $3000. I'm looking for the tranny, converter, yoke, torque arm, tranny cooler, speedo sensor, and crossmember? Any suggestions?
      Looking to sell your t56? PM me if you are.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror