Intake manifold bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake manifold bolts

My bolts/studs look like they had some type of sealer on them, but the manual says nothing about using anything on them. Has anyone else used something on them? Like maybe some Permatex non hardening gasket sealer?
    '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

the sealer is a liquid teflon. you should use it. its not a thread lock or any thing like that, its just that some of the intake bolts are "wet bolts" and the tip is actually in the water passages. i guess you could use teflon tape if you wanted to, but i like the liquid better.
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Originally posted by azkkn
      the sealer is a liquid teflon. you should use it. its not a thread lock or any thing like that, its just that some of the intake bolts are "wet bolts" and the tip is actually in the water passages. i guess you could use teflon tape if you wanted to, but i like the liquid better.
      Some of them looked like they had the Teflon on them, and some looked more like a silicon. Is the Teflon oil resistant, since some of the bolts are exposed to oil?
      '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

its still kills me that they only get 25 ft.lbs of torque. be sure and go back and retorque after the first hundred miles and cool down..

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

there are two kinds of teflon, one oil resistant that is typicaly yellow in color, and one white. i use the white, and i have never had a problem. the claim is that oil will break down the teflon, wich i have not had happen on the 4 LT-1's i have done, and the countless other motors.
          2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
          1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
          past rides:
          1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
          2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
          1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
          2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
          2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
          1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
          1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
          1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

I got the ARP stuff and it is white & seems to work fine. My biggest surprise was when all the manifold bolts bottommed out in the AFR heads - had to go and shorten them all of a sudden. I told the AFR guys they should have included a note about that because it was a major pain to find out in the middle of the install.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
              I got the ARP stuff and it is white & seems to work fine. My biggest surprise was when all the manifold bolts bottommed out in the AFR heads - had to go and shorten them all of a sudden. I told the AFR guys they should have included a note about that because it was a major pain to find out in the middle of the install.
              I've had a few surprises too. You think you plan everything but....

Comment

Working...
              X