Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFB - We've all seen the Z06, but take a look at the STS-V!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB - We've all seen the Z06, but take a look at the STS-V!!!

Look at that interior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the article from autoextremist.com
    ---------------------------------------
    CADILLAC STS-V

The 2006 Cadillac STS-V is the latest step in the total transformation of Cadillac. Once a failing division with a core buyer group that was dying off at a rapid clip, Cadillac is now the single best thing going at General Motors and hands down, the hottest American car brand. If the hard core CTS-V was a bare-knuckled poke at BMW's M5, the STS-V takes more of an iron-fist-in-velvet-glove approach in a sophisticated high-performance sedan. Powered by a new, 4.4-liter version of the DOHC Northstar V-8 engine (called the Northstar SC) enhanced with variable valve timing and a positive displacement intercooled supercharger, the STS-V has 440 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 430 lb.-ft. of torque at 3600 rpm - with 90 percent of the engine's peak torque delivered between 2200 and 6000 rpm. The redline for the Northstar V-8 SC is 6700 rpm. The STS-V has 120 horsepower and 115 lb.-ft. of torque more than its naturally aspirated counterpart, while reaching a specific output of 100-horsepower-per-liter. You can expect 0 to 60 times in under 5 seconds, according to factory estimates. The refined shift feel is enabled by careful electronic calibration of both the engine and transmission. During shifts, power is instantaneously lowered, then ramped back up carefully to make gear changes virtually unnoticeable. The Northstar V-8 SC is mated to the all-new Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission - the first use of GM's new high-performance six-speed automatic. GM claims the 6L80 is one of the most technologically advanced automatic transmissions in the industry, using clutch-to-clutch operation and an advanced integrated 32-bit transmission controller to deliver smooth and precise shifts. The 6L80 also incorporates a host of advanced driving enhancement features, including advanced Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS) and Driver Shift Control (DSC). PAS lets the electronic transmission controller override the automatic gear selection during closed throttle high lateral acceleration maneuvers, rapidly downshifting with the release of the torque converter clutch for smooth powering up when the throttle is reopened. Driver Shift Control allows the driver to sequentially shift gears manually via the gearshift lever.

The STS-V has been tuned for performance on GM's all-new Milford Road Course facility (aka the "Lutzring") and the Nordschleiffe (North Course) at Germany's Nürburgring. The STS-V gained a lot from this high-performance chassis development, including P255/45R18 front, and P275/40R19 rear tires; increased brake rotor diameters, larger pad areas, and larger calipers; increased stiffness stabilizer bars and suspension springs; a faster steering ratio; and chassis tuning aimed at delivering high performance without punishing the driver.

The exterior details of the STS-V that distinguish it from the civilian STS include a larger, polished stainless steel wire mesh front grille (now a signature of all Cadillac V- series machines) for better airflow, a new, lower front fascia that incorporates a larger lower grille (also wire mesh) for increased cooling capability; brake ducts for front caliper and rotor cooling; and a splitter to counteract lift created by the larger grille openings. The STS-V also includes a new lower rear fascia that facilitates smooth airflow under the vehicle for improved cooling; lower rockers that visually bridge the lowered front and rear fascias, a sculpted domed hood designed to provide space for the engine's supercharger, and ten-spoke, flangeless, painted aluminum alloy wheels - 18 x 8.5 inches in the front, and 19 x 9.5 inches in the rear. A higher, more rearward-positioned rear spoiler that enables balanced aerodynamic downforce with the front splitter is also part of the exterior body package. V-series badging is prominently displayed on the rear decklid and front doors. "Supercharged" block lettering is also on the front doors.

The interior of the STS-V includes hand-wrapped leather surfaces throughout; Olive Ash Burl wood appointments; Kinetic-finished aluminum accents; sueded fabric seat inserts; V-series badging in the instrument cluster, on the instrument panel, and on door sill plates; and a new Tango Red color accent offering that is applied on seat inserts (front and rear), console, center armrest, lower instrument panel and door mid-sections (front and rear).

The STS-V was engineered and executed by GM's Performance Division, their in-house center designed to explore potential enthusiast-oriented versions of production models, headed by Mark Reuss. GM says no engineering, design or assembly functions were outsourced - the vehicle is truly an original equipment offering. Like the STS, the STS-V will be built at GM's state-of-the-art Lansing Grand River (LRG) assembly center beginning in 2005. In 2004, the LGR facility received JD Power's highest award for plant quality in North America. The STS-V is expected to arrive in Cadillac showrooms in the fourth quarter of 2005.

It just shows you what happens when GM allows some of its most talented people to cut loose and go for it. Imagine if GM expended the kind of effort lavished on these two high-performance machines on every vehicle they make - they might actually have a shot at increasing their market share.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Took me a second to realize that's a marbelized accented interior. That's AWESOME!!!!
    Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Can't say i would mind drivin' one !

I must say, that interior is pretty sweet.
      black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

It's way too expensive for my budget. Besdides that it's a four door and I am just not into four doors except as family cars. My Camaro suits me fine right now. The new Mustang is more in line with my budget and what I want in a car when I decide to replace the Camaro (are you listening Chevrolet??????? ) The Mustang has excellent build quality and offers a good bang for the buck.

Besides......and I hate to say this.........if I wanted an expensive four door "sporty" car it would be a BMW or a Mercedes anyway.
        Dave S
        2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by SS_CarGuy
          It's way too expensive for my budget. Besdides that it's a four door and I am just not into four doors except as family cars. My Camaro suits me fine right now. The new Mustang is more in line with my budget and what I want in a car when I decide to replace the Camaro (are you listening Chevrolet??????? ) The Mustang has excellent build quality and offers a good bang for the buck.

Besides......and I hate to say this.........if I wanted an expensive four door "sporty" car it would be a BMW or a Mercedes anyway.

You're comparing a Mustang to a Cadillac??? Clearly you aren't in GM's target market for this car, but that doesn't mean that you can't appreciate this car for what it is.

It will be stiff competition for the M5 and E55 -- not as fast, but also nowhere NEAR as expensive. The new M5 is north of 100 large, and I think the E55 is too.

More than likely, this car will outrun cars like my WS6 and your SS... all while riding is total luxury. The car's beautiful, and the "mystique" of BMW and Mercedes is quickly dying, and will continue to as long as their prices continue to rise while their quality continues to fall. There are planty of studies nowadays proving Cadillac to be one of the highest quality vehicles around - second only to Lexus, and ahead of BMW... you'd be lucky to go a week between visits to the shop with a Mercedes. They're reliability nightmares. I guess if that's the price you're willing to pay for "status" then go right ahead...
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Jay..........I wasn't comparing a Mustang to a Cadillac. All I said was the Mustang would suit my taste and my budget better. Now if I had a lot of money to spend and could have a car like the Caddy as well as a Z06 Corvette and anything else that struck my fancy, then that's a different story altogether.

But even if I could afford the Caddy I would rather have an import. Yes, GM has done a good job on the this car but as is is typical with GM, they can come "close" but they never can seem to totally outclass the Beemers or Mercedes. And as far as resale goes, I doubt the Caddy will hold it's value as well as the two German cars. Only time will tell on this one but since the car won't be available for some time yet we will just have to wait and see. Have you gotten any pricing on the car yet? I would think it will be right up there with comparable BMW's and Merc's. If I recall, the "high end" price on the "regular" STS was pushing close to $70K so I can only imagine what the V will cost.
            Dave S
            2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by SS_CarGuy
              Jay..........I wasn't comparing a Mustang to a Cadillac. All I said was the Mustang would suit my taste and my budget better. Now if I had a lot of money to spend and could have a car like the Caddy as well as a Z06 Corvette and anything else that struck my fancy, then that's a different story altogether.

But even if I could afford the Caddy I would rather have an import. Yes, GM has done a good job on the this car but as is is typical with GM, they can come "close" but they never can seem to totally outclass the Beemers or Mercedes. And as far as resale goes, I doubt the Caddy will hold it's value as well as the two German cars. Only time will tell on this one but since the car won't be available for some time yet we will just have to wait and see. Have you gotten any pricing on the car yet? I would think it will be right up there with comparable BMW's and Merc's. If I recall, the "high end" price on the "regular" STS was pushing close to $70K so I can only imagine what the V will cost.
              Sorry, I didn't mean to come off harsh, but I have a real sore spot for the "Europeans are superior" attitude - and it sounded like that's what you were implying.

There is no way that the STS-V is going to cost as much as the M5 or E55 -- I think GM knows that this car would be destined for failure if they did that.

The Caddy won't hold its resale value as well, until the public begins to realize what the true auto enthusiasts already understand as truth - that the Cadillac nowadays is a higher quality vehicle than the Bimmer or Merc. As soon as people "status" perception begins to change, so will the resale. The 300C is taking great steps in making that happen for Chrysler -- I hope something like that can happen for GM too.

Comment

the sts v is estimated to sell for about 75K. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Supercharged dohc V8. I have driven the CTS and STS. BEAUTIFUL cars. I got a manual once. I love driving those cars, hopefully I'll see a couple STS-V's when they come out.
                97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

oh yeah, bmw is totally over rated. Drive those all day, nothing great about them. The mercedes on the other hand... I'll take a caddy over a bmw, but mercedes is on another level. Trust me, you probably wouldn't take the caddy over the benz. They're bad to the bone. I can't think of an amerian car that compares to mercedes.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    oh yeah, bmw is totally over rated. Drive those all day, nothing great about them. The mercedes on the other hand... I'll take a caddy over a bmw, but mercedes is on another level. Trust me, you probably wouldn't take the caddy over the benz. They're bad to the bone. I can't think of an amerian car that compares to mercedes.
                    You're right as long as the Merc is running. Good luck with that.

Comment

The real issue GM will have with the STS-V is convincing buyers to choose their car over a BMW, Mercedes, or an Audi. And those who have the dough for a car like this want the best. Until the majority of the automotive world starts saying that the Caddy is the best of the bunch, it will still be a tough sell regardless of the strides they have made with the car. I sure hope Caddy is sucessful with this car but like I said only time will tell.
                      Dave S
                      2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Is it me or does it look a bit like a Chrysler 300. I'm still undecided on the looks of the 300 but this is just a bit different and I really love the looks of it. It has cleaner lines, nice looking 19's in the back and the front it way better. That interior looks absolutely awesome. I wish my Camaro's cockpit looked as good as that. That leather looks butter soft mmmmm
                        97 SS #C007
                        Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                        SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Working...
                        X