• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QA1 & HAL?

Has anyone used this setup
    http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=90
    The front adjustable coil over system
    Pros and Cons

The reason i am looking at it is because i would like the adjustability of the front because in Pennsylvannia the roads are the worst and i can tailer ther height and the ride quality
    I LOVE COBRA'S -
    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

I have the HAL/QA1 shocks. Excellent for drag racing. Average for street use. The stiffness adjustability lets you optimize the car for the 1/4-mile, to the extent that you might find different setting for each individual shock, and change them from pass to pass. But when you put the car on the street, they simply allow you to adjust from "hard as a brick" to super soft, and its only a "single" adjustment. You can't adjust jounce and rebound individually. A double adjustable Koni would be better for the street.

The height adjust is a big plus. I've got the front end exactly where I want it. But don't just assume you can reach behind the tire with the spanner wrench and jack the front of the car up and down. You need to lift the front of the car, remove the tires and then wrestle with a poorly designed HAL spanner wrench (the Moroso wrench looks like it would work better), then make sure you have both sides at the same height. It isn't easy to move the adjuster nut, although HAL now offers a roller thrust bearing to put on the seat. I made sure I coated the sliding surfaces of the adjuster nut, seat and threads with a lot of anti-sieze compound, but its still a lot of work and blisters doing the adjustment.

If you are looking at a drag shock, the Afco's are double adjustable.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Injuneer, do u know where we can order that rolling thrust bearing from HAL? I've been on their website but can't find it anywhere.
      1995 Pontiac Formula Firebird 383 Stroker 11.5:1 compression, ASM Thottle body, Custom Grind Comp Cam, MSD ignition, BMR strut, k-member, Upper and Lower control arms, rear control arms, and still a work in progress.

Comment

Check with Thunder Racing, or wherever you plan to buy them. I did an install for a buddy of mine with a 98 T/A, and he had the thin roller bearings, supplied by QA1 as an option. Don't know where he bought his shocks though.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X