leaking water pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking water pump

my water pump is leaking in my 97 firebird. I was thinking of replacing it myself. is this an easy task or is it better off having someone else do it. What am i looking at here price wise. can you guys give me any advice on this.
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Not hard..... you just have to be careful in not getting the optispark wet. Also think about replacing the front cover drive seals or they'll leak later on. That means having to pull the whole thing apart again. The price of a WP at most local auto parts stores is under $150.

Comment

what do you mean by teh front cover drive seals can you elaborate im not sure what you mean
      -Lou -

Comment

The water pump is shaft driven. The drive shaft protrudes through the front cover and a seal is used to retain the oil inside the front cover. It is very similar to a crank seal only considerably smaller.

Comment

cool thanks i got my hands full now with my second manifold leak, rear ends on its way out, water pump leaking. seems likes theres always so much to fix.
          -Lou -

Comment

Originally posted by lt14mla
            cool thanks i got my hands full now with my second manifold leak, rear ends on its way out, water pump leaking. seems likes theres always so much to fix.
            Just to let you know I have a virtually new LT1 water pump with a brand new Hypertech 160° thermostat and sensor. I'll send you a PM with more details.

Comment

Don't forget to use Teflon sealer on the ends of the water pump bolts since they protrude into the coolant passage!
              '95 Trans Am - A4, LE2 heads, LE1 cam, 1.6 ProMags, Comp R's, AS&M CAI, AS&M 54mm, MAC midlengths, Random Tech. cat, Borla cat back, PCMforless, Vigilante 2800, 3.73's, BMR LCAs/panhard/shock tower brace

Comment

Working...
              X