Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn signal problems

i have a 96 formula

when i turn on my left turn signal, it just stays on solid....all my lights work and my hazards work properly...also in the dash when i turn the left one on the arrow stays solid too....my right blinker works, but it is real delayed, there is like a 1.5 second delay between flashes....i had a friend tell me that it could be a bad ground, and i was wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

Does this car have relays under the dash? Might want to check that out.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

The cause is usually a bad bulb filament on the side that won't flash. A bad connection at the bulb will do the same thing. Check bulbs carefully and sockets for corrosion or loose/burned contacts.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B (shoebox)
        The cause is usually a bad bulb filament on the side that won't flash. A bad connection at the bulb will do the same thing. Check bulbs carefully and sockets for corrosion or loose/burned contacts.
        Also keep in mind that the bulbs are a dual filiment design. The basic light illumination may work, but the second higher intensity filiment for the brake or turn signal portion may be bad. You should turn on the lights and walk around the car to verify that portion. Then turn on the hazzards and again walk around the car. My bet is that you'll find one high intensity element of a bulb not functioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
          Also keep in mind that the bulbs are a dual filiment design. The basic light illumination may work, but the second higher intensity filiment for the brake or turn signal portion may be bad. You should turn on the lights and walk around the car to verify that portion. Then turn on the hazzards and again walk around the car. My bet is that you'll find one high intensity element of a bulb not functioning.

well, i already did that...all lights and hazzards work fine...so thats not it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealin hubcaps
            well, i already did that...all lights and hazzards work fine...so thats not it.
            Try replacing the flasher and/or checking the connectors at the base of the steering column.
            Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

If the filaments are good in the bulbs then it is a bad flasher cannister which is located under the dash to the left of the steering column (if memory serves me right.) On the Camaro, you remove the dash panel under the steering column to get to it....not sure if the Firebird has the same setup or not.

If a bulb goes bad, your turn signals will work but will flash real fast. If the turn signals just come on and don't flash then almost always the cannister is bad. Locate the cannister and head down to your local auto parts store to get a replacement...it should only be a couple of dollars.
              Dave S
              2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by SS_CarGuy

If a bulb goes bad, your turn signals will work but will flash real fast. .
                I can't comment on 98 and later, but 93-97 this is not the case. I know for a fact that the turn signal will not funtion, the indicator light on the dash will stay on solid and the lights will not flash.

Comment

I can't comment on 98 and later, but 93-97 this is not the case. I know for a fact that the turn signal will not funtion, the indicator light on the dash will stay on solid and the lights will not flash.
                  You may be right Joe. I was basing my comments on personal experiences with other cars I owned before my Camaro. But it sure sounds like the cannister is bad and for a few bucks I would replace it to see if it solves the problem.
                  Dave S
                  2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

The turn signal flasher is to the right of the steering column, not the left.

Comment

I had a similar experience on a car. The turn indicators on one side would stay on. Eventually I found a bulb in the back that had some corrosion on it (it still was working though)???. I cleaned it and everything worked fine for a while. Ended up replacing it and never had the problem again.
                      97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Sounds to me like you just need to replace the bulb. My turn signals did the same thing when one of the bulbs went bad. The bulbs are cheap, just change the side that isn't flashing, might be a good way to start before replacing any other parts. Just my $0.02

2000 Black Camaro w/3800 V6. Hotchkis STB, Whisper Lid, K&N, Flowmaster exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                        X