WS6 Ram Air Style Hood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS6 Ram Air Style Hood

I would like to replace my stock hood on my 1995 Trans Am for a WS6 Ram Air style hood. I'm not sure if I really need to have it functional (ie: is it worth the extra money for the nominal hp gains?). In any event, I like the style of the WS6 hood and I want the look regardless if it is functional or not.

I wanted to hear from anyone who has experience in buying this style hood. Such as, where did you buy it? what business would or WOULD NOT recommend? Last but not least how much for the hood and air box setup? There are quite a few places selling them and I'm not sure if it is one man'f making them and selling them off or are there that many man'f making them and selling them. Are they all created equal?

Thanks a bunch and I appreciate your time and input.

1995 Trans Am Convertible - 52k mikes stock
    1989 20th Anniv. Trans Am Pace Car 6k miles - all original

There are a few manufacturers of aftermarket hoods. Make sure whatever you buy has been crash tested. Some have, some don't, Maybe somebody else can tell you the company that hasn't tested theirs.

A good place to go is SLP. They used to make upgrades for GM.

The hood
    http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=100002

The air filter assy. to make it functional
    http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=100008

Well worth the upgrade. Looks better, sounds better and runs better to. You can also check on the different forums if a member has a used hood for sale.

That's what I did. Never looked back.
    97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Just FYI, I'm sure you've seen the suncoast hood. It is not crash tested, I wouldn't get it. I think it was suncoast. Somebody back me up.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Check out the Ram Air II hood from www.usbody.com for the LT1 Trans Am. It looks wicked. markd79ta has it on his and it looks AWESOME!!!!! As for functionality, ram air does offer power gains at higher speeds, but negligible at idle and city speeds. It all depends on how you want to tailor the hood to the car I guess. I'd go for the ram air personally.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I got my LT1 Firehawk hood from a seller called "horsepower1" on eBay. He seems to sell a bunch of genuine SLP Firehawk and WS6 hoods with minor shipping damage. I got my SLP airbox from him via an auction too. I think I payed a total of around $700 for everything.

Comment

I got a hood from hawks third generation parts, they shipped it pretty cheap and the hood itself was cheaper then anywhere else I looked and it's nice. there are also functional RAM air boxes and alot of other stuff there.

87 z28 w/93 LT1 and 700r4

Comment

Bought mine from SLP.

Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                Just FYI, I'm sure you've seen the suncoast hood. It is not crash tested, I wouldn't get it. I think it was suncoast. Somebody back me up.
                you ar correct. I contacted them years ago about this and they did the texas-two-step around my questions until finally i got a nasty email from the owner telling me to "back off"........ well I didnt....and wont.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                  you ar correct. I contacted them years ago about this and they did the texas-two-step around my questions until finally i got a nasty email from the owner telling me to "back off"........ well I didnt....and wont.
                  Forward him your video
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    Forward him your video
                    hahahaha....

oh..he's met me before. we even shot pool together at the first f body gathering in 1997 in Atlanta....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Mine's from SLP.... hood and airbox. As close to OEM as you can get without buying the "real" thing.

And yes, its "functional":

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Looks like SLP is the way to go. I will be on the phone Monday ordering mine.
                        One last question..... has anyone had had minor/major fit and finish issues w/ the SLP hood?

Thanks for the quick and honest replies.

Take care!
                        1995 Trans Am Convertible - 52k miles
                        1989 20TH Anniversary Turbo Trans Am Pace Car - 6k miles

Comment

Does anybody have a picture of the under side of a SLP ram air hood. I just
                          got a hood but do not know who made it. The top looks just like the SLP.
                          I want to get the air box but do not know if it will work. If I can see a pic
                          of the under side where the air box would meet the hood that would tell
                          me alot.If you post a pic on this thread or E-mail it to me at zlee@bellsouth.net it would make my day. Thanks Blazer

Comment

I can take one tomorrow for ya
                            Kbddsfc,B&M Ripper,Ws6 Rims,Hotchkiss Stb,Bmr Lca,Gwphr,Strange 4:10's,LPEds,Borla,AS&M Headers,RT cat,Powerslot rotors,Hawk Pads R/Pf pads Fr,Mba shift knob,Slp Hood&Airbox,Holley Powershot filter,Fernco mod, Lt4km,Firebat decals,T/A Girdle,HPP.160stat,Bilstein shocks,Z06 Brakes,AFS ZR1's,GSD3's.

Comment

This is the underside of the SLP hood, with about 1" of the rear baffle cut out:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                              X