z06 Convertible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z06 Convertible?

Are they standing by the wrong car or are they going to build a Z convertible?
    http://www.northeastsyty.com/videos/.../Zo6Engine.wmv
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Thats what it looked like to me . I think i would like the hatchback better anyway. I'm not the biggest fan of convertables.
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

That's my local news team here in Detroit. That engine is so beautiful. It's weird seeing an engine put together by a guy in a suit, no dirty parts, etc.. Everything is so clean. However, I hope that guy didn't leave his tag on that motor for real. Hopefully that one got scrapped, I wouldn't want an engine that news guy put together.
      97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by ryan34
        Thats what it looked like to me . I think i would like the hatchback better anyway. I'm not the biggest fan of convertables.
        Nothing beats the feel of cruising around town in a drop top. Once you go topless, you'll never go back. The sound of the exhaust with no roof is great. Everybody notices you. I love sitting in the passenger seat at night, reclining back and absorbing the sights and sounds as someone else drives. Watch the trees go overhead. Listen to the engine. The only downside I can see to having a convertible is the rollbar / cage requirement for drag racing and the possibility of water leaks... But I dont dragrace. They dont even weigh considerably more, and with some subframe connectors are stiff enough for corners.

The ZO6 convertible would be a huge seller. IMO.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Norm, Carman Harlan once asked the anchorman if he "got a Woody for Christmas"... she was referring to the "Woody" character doll from the movie "Toy Story".

It's just local general new journalists that dont' have a clue. I DOUBT there is a Z06 covertible. At least I hope not. It's an autosport purists car... nothing is supposed to compromise that car's ability to perform.

But I guess that might be the "big surprise" that's been rumored for so long. And here I was hoping it would be something like a SMG F1 gearbox or something to further improve performance...
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

doesnt it being a convertable defeat the purpose of having a track ready race car on the street?
            2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
            1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
            past rides:
            1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
            2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
            1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
            2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
            2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
            1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
            1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
            1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              Nothing beats the feel of cruising around town in a drop top. Once you go topless, you'll never go back. The sound of the exhaust with no roof is great.
              I miss my 40th Anniversary Convertible Vette. I took it on a cruise through the Smokey Mountain National Park on a cool spring day, top down, tunes cranked. One of the best rides I ever had. Even though it wasn't a rocket, I think I miss that Vette more than any of them. Then there was my 442 Convertible...... these things just have a feel that T-Top cars just can't compete with. The only downside to Vettes and F-bodies is the crappy factory tops that tend to baloon up once on the highway. Definately not a fan of the bubble top. When I wasn't planning on dropping the top on my Vette, I put on the bolt on hardtop. That was a sweet addition that added to the rigidity of the car and made top speed runs more feasable. It gave the car a unique look unmatched by the regular hatch roof cars.

Comment

I think they are supposed to debut the C6 convertible there too - I cannot see them doing the Z06 as a convertible - at least not yet.
                Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                  The only downside I can see to having a convertible is the rollbar / cage requirement for drag racing and the possibility of water leaks... But I dont dragrace.
                  And I only read Playboy for the articles...
                  Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by azkkn
                    doesnt it being a convertable defeat the purpose of having a track ready race car on the street?

Yes, it does. The covertible standard C6 is PLENTY enough performance for the cruisers... nothing is supposed to stand in the way of the Z06 version from pounding pavement and eating its competition on the track...

...for that reason, I'd like it to not have DVD navigation or power seats, either...
                    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

"...for that reason, I'd like it to not have DVD navigation or power seats, either..."

What would you suggest they throw in to replace it with Jay... Helmets and a racesuit?? J/K. Ahh c'mon.... ya gotta have some fancy stuff for 75k .
                      1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
                        "...for that reason, I'd like it to not have DVD navigation or power seats, either..."

What would you suggest they throw in to replace it with Jay... Helmets and a racesuit?? J/K. Ahh c'mon.... ya gotta have some fancy stuff for 75k .

Fancy stuff? All the fancy stuff I need is 12 degree heads, 427 CID, titanium internals, dry sump, alumnium frame, carbon fiber body panels...

...sure there has to be some happy medium between a race car and a street car, but the problem with the convertible is that then it becomes a "cruiser" and not a "racer". The C5 Z06 was a no-frills, purpose-built, all-business racing machine.

The Corvette driver stereotype is a middle aged, mid-life crisis man with a lot of money and gold chains trying to buy his youth back. In my opinion, the Z06 SMASHED that stereotype by eliminating the automatic transmission, the convertible, and the targa top, and by giving it an aggressive sports suspension. It insured that PERFORMANCE was the first reason anyone would buy the car.

I would be sad to see GM sell out the all-business nature of the car to make the car less hardcore and appeal to more people. But then again, it probably would appeal to more people, and it would probably sell more. Which, in the end, is the ultimate goal.

I just want the brutal, no-frills, no compromises racer back ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jay 02 TA ws6
                          Fancy stuff? All the fancy stuff I need is 12 degree heads, 427 CID, titanium internals, dry sump, alumnium frame, carbon fiber body panels...

...sure there has to be some happy medium between a race car and a street car, but the problem with the convertible is that then it becomes a "cruiser" and not a "racer". The C5 Z06 was a no-frills, purpose-built, all-business racing machine.

The Corvette driver stereotype is a middle aged, mid-life crisis man with a lot of money and gold chains trying to buy his youth back. In my opinion, the Z06 SMASHED that stereotype by eliminating the automatic transmission, the convertible, and the targa top, and by giving it an aggressive sports suspension. It insured that PERFORMANCE was the first reason anyone would buy the car.

I would be sad to see GM sell out the all-business nature of the car to make the car less hardcore and appeal to more people. But then again, it probably would appeal to more people, and it would probably sell more. Which, in the end, is the ultimate goal.

I just want the brutal, no-frills, no compromises racer back ...
                          Couldn't have said it better. It would be a disgrace to the Z06 to make it in a vert. Convertibles and refined sports/muscle cars just don't go together.

The car that the reporters are standing next to does not have the Z06 wheels. I highly doubt that there will be a C6 Z06 vert. At least I pray not.

Comment

It will not be available as a convertible - at least not initially - in fact, it does not have the removable top of the coupe. It has a fixed magnesium roof for strength and weight according to the recent first look in Motor Trend.
                            Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Comment

Working...
                            X