No driveshaft for me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No driveshaft for me

Hmm... i went to the dealer a few weeks back and asked them about any recalls my car may have missed, hoping that they would get me an aluminum driveshaft to replace the steel ones they recalled for vibration. But after running my vin she said that my car was only listed for one recall which was a sensor and it was done by the previous owner. Why wouldn't my car have a recall on the steel driveshaft? I can't stand the vibrations at highway speeds.
    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Its not a recall, but a tech bulletin. If you report the vibrations (and bug them enough), they'll do the driveshaft for you. If they refuse to budge, you can get it and put it in yourself, its pretty easy. You can pick it up from www.gmpartsdirect.com shipped for $269.74 (item #10085375). Putting it in takes about half an hour or so, less if you have a buddy help.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

There is a Service Bulletin about it..link below

http://www.ws6.com/shaft.htm

The lady wants to get a satisfied costumer, she should raplace it right away.

Print it and show it to her.
      Take care and good luck
      Doc
      97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Call the GM number in your owner's manual. Be cordial but be firm and they will at mimimum cover half the cost of a new aluminum replacement. I called and they gave me a new aluminum DS but it took several hours and many phone calls to do so but in the end it was well worth it.

Comment

Hmmm... I have a "P" code vin... but that says 93-96. Do you think they will use that as an execuse not to do it?
          1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
            Hmmm... I have a "P" code vin... but that says 93-96. Do you think they will use that as an execuse not to do it?
            My TA is a 1997 and they did it. Like I said, just always make sure you are cordial, but don't back down. They are going to try and shoot you down right away but don't let them. The key to getting things done on the phone is to never "attack" them but to remain calm but stay firm.

Comment

So i just take that to my dealer
              -Nick-
              95 A4 Z28

Comment

Originally posted by ws6drbob
                The reason that they only list up through 96 is due to the date of the release of the bulletin. It still applies to the 97 cars as well, since they are the same car for the most part. Like Kevin said, don't back down but don't go after them.
                Steve
                79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I had my replaced while the car was still under warranty. Even though there was a TSB on the problem, check on getting a takeout aluminum shaft from the 98 and later cars from your local salvage yard. Often times you can get it for $100 or less and put it in yourself in 20 minutes. This frequent problem is why the 98 and later cars got an aluminum shaft as stock. Still try to get the dealer to do it, but if they won't, at least you have another option.

Comment

Working...
                  X