XM satellite radio question. need opinion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM satellite radio question. need opinion

So I work at Best buy and get this killer discount on car audio. So I decide to get the new XM promotion going on. I put it in my 98 Trans Am convertible (installed myself) and I am having a problem with the magnetic automobile antenna. The instructions say to put it on a metal surface outside the car and the only place it would look good is on the trunk lid but that isn't metal. I have it on the driver's side quarter panel right up against the trunk lid for easy wiring but it cuts in and out once in a while. Not to mention the weird crappy bad fm noises in the background. Any opinions on what to do next? Thanks guys.

***R.I.P. - Yirian Alonso and all the kids that passed away in that fatal crash in the old SS***

Put some 3M double stick tape on the bottom of it and mount it to the top of the car where the top of the rear hatch meets the roof. This is assuming that it is a T-top car. If it's a hard top, it should stick to the roof up front by the windshield.

On a side note, I hate magnetic mount antennas because they do not stay. They scratch the paint on every vehicle I've seen them installed on. If you get good 3M double stick tape, it will hold forever, yet come off with no damage to the paint.
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

I have a convertible. I could put it on the rear deck lid but it is fiberglass and it syas in the manual to only put it on a metal surface.

Comment

mines inside on the dash on the passenger side. Still get good reception, the receiver i moved after an install at circuit city. They wouldn't cut up the ashtray (can't blame them)so i told them to do the best they could not cutting it, so i moved it myself.
        2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
        Traded in: 1998 Z28
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

They tell you to put it on a metal surface only because it is magnetic and has to have a metal surface to stay on the car. 3M tape and put it wherever you want. I've seen them on the cowl, hood, fender, dash, even one mounted to the top of the back seat with a custom bracket because the person didn't want it outside of the car.
          "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Working...
          X