Need Help Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Suggestions

hello im new to these forums as well as camaros i recently purchased a 1991 camaro rs i have a 1966 el camino i restored and im new to fixing and customizing newer model cars when i opened up the hood there was a maze of stuff i was wondering if i were to put headers and dual exhaust what would i use? right now this car is quiet i want a real muscle car sound. does anyone know how to work on these cars? and have any suggestion and ideas it would help out a lot

thanx

well some more info on the car would help out some too, but as for exhaust some long tube headers would b nice and exhaust... its hard 2 put true duals on those cars ground clearance is a big issue, its better to go with a y-pipe
    1967 Camaro "Project"
    1972 Chevelle "454"
    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Originally posted by 91camaroRs
      hello im new to these forums as well as camaros i recently purchased a 1991 camaro rs i have a 1966 el camino i restored and im new to fixing and customizing newer model cars when i opened up the hood there was a maze of stuff i was wondering if i were to put headers and dual exhaust what would i use? right now this car is quiet i want a real muscle car sound. does anyone know how to work on these cars? and have any suggestion and ideas it would help out a lot

thanx
      Since you have a 91 RS, I'm assuming you have the 305 TBI engine. First question, do you live in a state with emissions testing? This is going to determine a lot. I might as well go ahead and tell you that the 305 TBI is not much of a performance engine at all, in stock form . These engines pretty much have the crappiest cylinder heads and camshaft that GM ever put in a V8. The stock ratings for these engines are 170 HP and 255 ft. lbs. of TQ (these are flywheel ratings). But, that's not saying that you can't get plenty of decent power out of these engines, this is just something to keep in mind.

Like RocKin67 said, though, true duals and longtube headers can get tricky on 3rd and 4th gen cars, because of ground clearance and such. I would highly recommend just sticking with some shorty headers with Y-pipe and a single 3" exhaust. Some companies make longtube headers for these cars, but it requires some serious modification (notching the K-member and A-arms for clearance). For what it's worth, there are plenty of people with 3rd gens (82-92 Camaro/Firebird) who are making 300-400 HP with this kind of set-up. I would highly recommend the Hooker headers and cat-back, shown here:

Hooker 2055 headers
      http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...54&prmenbr=361
      Hooker Aerochamber cat-back
      http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...15&prmenbr=361

I can probably answer any kind of question you may have about your car, so feel free to ask. I have the same type of car and engine as you, and there isn't a single part on my car that I haven't worked on by now. I would also highly suggest that you check out www.thirdgen.org . Go to the message forums, and go to the TBI forum and read the "New to TBI" sticky, there is tons of info and great people over there that can help you out. If I'm not on this forum, I'm over there. Good luck.

One more thing, it doesn't take much time or money to get rid of some of that clutter under the hood.
      1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
      Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
      Trans: TH700R4
      Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

well i live in california so smog is an issue and the car is running a 350 i really want to get dual exhaust on it i was thinking about ripping all of the sensors and new electronic crap and making it more of an old school motor setup but i dont know i want to give it a muscle car feel right now it has the computer controlled carb i was wondering if i would be downgrading by just switching to a regular carb does anyone have any experience or knowledge doing this kind of work anything will help right now

Comment

If all you did was just swap to a carb, you aren't going to see much of a gain. The stock cylinder heads and camshaft are still going to hold you back.
          1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
          Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
          Trans: TH700R4
          Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

well i dont like all the computer controlled stuff i want to have full control over what my car does if you leave the computer controlled crap you really dont have much control of how your car functions plus its a hell of a lot easier to work on and looks cooler

Comment

Originally posted by 91camaroRs
              well i dont like all the computer controlled stuff i want to have full control over what my car does if you leave the computer controlled crap you really dont have much control of how your car functions plus its a hell of a lot easier to work on and looks cooler

hell yea! carb is the way
              1967 Camaro "Project"
              1972 Chevelle "454"
              1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Working...
              X