New clutch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New clutch?

I think its getting time for a new clutch. When the motor idles, you can hear something with a loose bearing coming from what seems to be behind the motor. So, since I was already looking at doing it anyways, I need some help. Number 1, how hard is it to do the cluctch? Or should I take it it? Number 2, should I just stick with the stock setup or go with the SLP setup (clutch, pressure plate, throwout and flywheel)? Please keep in mind its gotta get decent mileage. Thanks for the help.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Steve,

Are you sure it's not the input bearing in the Trans.?

Does it sound kinda like a rattle?

Does it do it only when in neutral with the clutch engaged?

If you disengage the clutch (push the pedal in) and put it in gear, does the noise go away?

If these all are yes, I'd be thinking that it's the input bearing.

Gordon
    www.provenperformanceconcepts.com

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

The clutch is easy provided you've got the tools and you've done clutch jobs before. The one trick that got me the first time I did a clutch on a T56 is the darn shift fork. In order to remove the tranny from the bellhousing, you have to pull out on the shift fork to disengage it from the throwout bearing. Just give it a tug.

Also make sure you emery cloth the flywheel real good for a fresh surface. If its grooved from a real bad disk, you might be better off getting another instead of cutting it. Im not a big fan of resufacing flywheels. Other than that it's easy -- just nuts and bolts.

If your getting another clutch, I highly recommend the SPEC clutch. My stage 3 grabs awesome. They really stand behind their product. Get this -- I had just put a stage 3 clutch in my 96 WS6 and took it to the track to try it out. I missed a shift 1-2-1

and blew the whole clutch right out through the bellhousing all over the track. After having towed home I called SPEC and told them what happened, hoping they would give me break on the next clutch. They were awesome! They sent me a brand new disk and rebuit my pressure plate for free! SPEC told me on the phone that the clutch should have ripped my input shaft off, so they will replace the clutch!

96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Yea that input bearing rattles on every T56 with over 30K. If it's just the input bearing and its not real bad I wouldn't even worry about it.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

No, the rattle is there no matter what. As long as the motor is at idle, you can here it. The other thing is that the clutch makes an almost grinding sound when you start to move. I did notice a while ago when I gave it too much throttle trying to start going forward uphill from a stop that a lot of smoke was present. I thought it was the tires, but maybe not...not sure. Also, I'm not really thinking about racing her, so would any aftermarket clutch and flywheel be worth it?
          Steve

Comment

Well, I guess it would depend on what a stock setup costs versus an aftermarket. I like the aftemarket feel and performance. There's no slip, so you can really bang gears. Some people like the slippage - it's more comfortable for cruising. I guess its all personal preference.

Comment

Which would be more fuel efficient, if either? Also, does this sound like it could be the clutch or is it just wishful thinking?
              Steve

Comment

Steve, it does kind of sound like you may have clutch issues, after your last description. You should have someone drive it who has more knowledge & is not just trying to sell you a clutch job.

The smoking on the hill thing (if it wasn't tires), would indicate a worn out clutch & due to the slipping and overheating.... a damaged flywheel.

If you don't really drive the car hard, a stock replacement type clutch & pressure plate would be fine for you. IF you did smoke it like that... you'll need a flywheel too.

Gordon
                www.provenperformanceconcepts.com

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Steve, where are you located? If you are in the central new york area, I know where you could find some good help diagnosing the problem.

From what your describing, it definately sounds like clutch to me, but again, it's hard to say without driving it.

Comment

Thanks for the offer man, but unfortunately I'm on the other coast over in CA. I'm going in to a shop of mine in about 45 min. or so to find out for sure, but thanks for the help. I've been thinking its the clutch, but I haven't been sure. Part of me thought it was the water pump, but I'm still hoping its not. Would a lighter flywheel actually do anything for the fuel consumption?
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X