NFB - Sad Depressing Day.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFB - Sad Depressing Day.....

Not F-body related, this was my Conquest... The winter car.

I'm driving, I hear "tink tink tink." Car loses power, I pull over and shut it down. WTF? I tell my friend to crank it so I can hear where the tink is coming from. Initially I thought it was the timing cover. So he cranks it a little at a time. POP, valve cover explodes, dipstick flies off, and the breather on the back of the VC blows off and down the street. WOW, it was loud. So We get it to his garage and pull it apart. Can you say crazy crankcase pressure?

So I inspect the head over. The intake valve on the #4 piston is GONE.

So I pull the head because I know if I don't I won't be able to sleep without knowing what has happened to my cylinders and pistons. Well, it wasn't what I wanted to see. That's a picture of my $500 JE Forged Pistons. Nice eh?

Metal shavings in every cylinder. From what I can see the two middle cylinders are fine, nice cross hatch in each one. #4... Pic speaks for itself. Can't express how ticked I am about this.

Finally, the damage to my 400 dollar marnal, w/ marnal valves, hd springs, new lifters, etc... 5000 miles total on everything. I wonder if it's the machine shops fault, maybe used old valve retaining clips to hold them down, I don't know. I had them do my head before, then I bought some HD valve springs and I had them throw 'em on. Everything on that head was new. New oversized Marnal valves, HD valve springs, new lifters, ARP head studs, supposedly new valve seals and retaining clips, etc... Only thing I reused was the rocker shafts. Hell, I even have new roller rockers on there. Here is what's left of my head now. The valve bent inside of it's hole, can't even get it out. Chewed up the head around it.

Going to pull the engine tomorrow. Work and time isn't an issue, I have this car down to a science, I can have it out in about an hour or so, rip it down to bare block, etc... I'm just not made of money. Gonna need a new piston for sure, get in there and check out the rest of the pistons and cylinders. Cross hatch might be in order, head gasket, etc.... Bearings are def. gonna need a lookover, maybe R&R etc, if the metal shavings did a lotta damage....

I am so upset about this, I had to vent... I think the machine shop did a poor job of putting my valves and valve springs in, that's why this happened. My timing was set perfect, right where it should be, car was running fine... Driving down the street going 25 in third gear when it "tinked." I was going to let that guy do my Camaro work, too. I'm def. going to reconsider that course of action.

I'm not going to call them complaining, that won't do me any good. Live and learn.

Camaro is out and in front of the house, sittin in slush. Such a sad sight. He hasn't seen snow all year.

So how was everyone elses day?
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

What a bummer.........sorry to hear about all your troubles. I hope you can get the engine rebuilt without spending too many $$$$$$$$.
    Dave S
    2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      So how was everyone elses day?
      WOW! Better than your. Sorry to hear about that.

I have heard of valve keepers not getting put in correctly and dropping a valve.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Sorry about that, but just a humble observation:

I tell my friend to crank it so I can hear where the tink is coming from.
        Never crank an engine if you heard mechanical interferance. That is what cost you. I have a steadfast rule that the instant mechanical interferance is heard, you shut down (which you did). Then I pull the valve cover and timing cover and inspect. Next is to use a breaker bar and slowly rotate the assembly and visually check everything. I'm not saying that the damage wouldn't have already been in there, but the end result of blowing things apart wouldn't have happened. turbo eh? Better check the turbine wheels....could have coked the bearing on shutdown too. you'll also need to flush the IC.

Comment

Joe, you're right, I'm sure that didn't help. I'm sure once I heard the ticking, it was done. I mean after I heard the tinkin', I drove it some yards to get it into a spot where I could pull it over. It was toasted, but if I could go back I would have taken off the valve cover, saw the missing valve, then pulled the head. Who knows how much damage cranking it did. Stupid mistake
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

"it" happens.... i know you dont want to hear that. i spun #8 rod bearing on my Comp TA under 3/4 accleration due to a faulty o.e. oil pump shaft......

good luck.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
            Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
            sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Yeah wolf, it just sucks when stuff like that happens. It was out of my hands too, that's what I don't like. Just goes to show, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. I didn't assemble that head, that's why this happened.

Does anybody on here have any head machine experience? I am wondering if that head can be repaired, and if it will ever be a strong cast head again, or is it junk?

Comment

Yeah wolf, it just sucks when stuff like that happens. It was out of my hands too, that's what I don't like. Just goes to show, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. I didn't assemble that head, that's why this happened.

Does anybody on here have any head machine experience? I am wondering if that head can be repaired, and if it will ever be a strong cast head again, or is it junk?
                There's two or three CNC machine shops off Richardson and Haggerty in Commerce/White Lake... why don't you ask them what they think about it?

If you want to check them out, take I-275 North to the I-696/M-5 interchange and follow M-5 north to Pontiac Trail. Turn right on Pontiac Trail and left on Haggerty... The machine shops are about a mile up on the left hand side... can't miss them.
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

WOW Sorry to hear (or see) all of that mess...that's just crazy looking...sucks...it don't look like it'll be cheap to repair...but man, hope it works out okay for ya.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
                  Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
                  B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
                  Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
                  Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Just got my 2.2 turbo going in my "winter rat" after my motor went "tink". I feel your pain.....

This is what my "tink" looked like afterwards......

http://www.f-body.com/forum/attachme...tachmentid=571
                    96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                    11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

That's some nasty damage, I guess things could be a lot worse. I figured it out, it's 900 bucks worth of damage. Around 400 for the head, and 500 for a new set of pistons. I don't think that head was correctly assembled. It's driving me nuts, I want to beat the guy that put it together. That valve couldn't have been seated/retained properly.

Lucky for me, a guy in my other club had a similar problem. He blew two pistons out the side of his block (JE forged pistons), and he had two left. Gave one to a guy that had a similar problem as me. He has one more left, I hope he'll let it go, that would totally make my day. Make my wallet happy too.

Thank god for tax time, school refunds, etc... When I say school refunds, I mean I get about $640 from my leftover financial aid (1200 for tuition, 130 for books, I get the rest, and I got the max you can get from financial aid, 2K). It pays to have poor parents, literally!

I have a couple of those cylinder heads lyin' around, too, so I'm good there. That head was so nice though... Out flows stock head, no jet valves, bigger valves, etc.. It's kinda like having this happen to an LT4 head on your LT1...

Comment

Working...
                      X