help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

"low oil" light is on and this is 3th times i have to add oil engine since i changed my oil at pontiac dealer. and i don't see any oil leak on my garage, anyone know what causes it ?
    2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
    SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
    Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

I'm assuming you've checked to make sure the oil level is at full? Could be the sensor or wiring I would think. Maybe someone else will know more.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

The LS1 has been known to use alot of oil if there is a defect in the boring process at the factory or if it has been honed or re-bored without a torque plate. Since this hasent been happening all the time I would say it could have a defective ring that is causing oil consumption. Does it smoke when started? Also in rare cases the rings can become aligned and also cause oil consumption but also exesive blow-by. Also something to check would be coolant for oil. These are things to check after what steve93z said.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

You might want to mention the specifics.... how far did you drive it before the low oil light came on the 1st time? How low did the dipstick indicate the oil level was? How much oil did you add? Repeat that info for 2nd and 3rd times the light came on. What brand/viscosity oil did the dealer use? Did you verify the engine was full immediately after he changed the oil (always a good idea)?

Otherwise there is no way to estimate the magnitude of the problem.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thank you all , and i just changed oil today and i set the trip back to 0,0 so if i need more oil i will give the mileage for sure but i'm hoping will fixed for good.
          2001 Trans Am WS6 M6
          SLP: short throw|short shifter|CAI|MAF|TB ByPass
          Spohn: SFC|Tunnel Brace|LCA|Swaybars|LCA bracket|Shock Tower Brace|Nitto NT555 Extreme Performance|Pacesetter LT|TrueDual|1-chamber Flowmaster|DLA224/224Cam|Comp Cams 918 Springs|ported oil pump|timing chain|PRC LS6 heads|LS7 lifters|Fast Intake 90mm|NW TB 90mm|Thermostat 160|NGK TR 55|RacetronicFP|429/404 hp/tq|tuned by George Haddad motorsports
          http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/690385

Comment

Working...
          X