Woah, just had a scare....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woah, just had a scare....

Took the T/A this morning to drop my son off to school. The little hot rodder loves to have me drop off and pick him up in one of the hot rods. It makes the other kids drool. After I drop him off, I take my time in traffic until I can pull out on highway 66... not the famous one, but we have one here in Florida too. I turn on the road and hit it. In a momnet I hear ticking and then what sounds like knocking. Oh crap...... I check oil pressure and it's fine, no knock retard on the scanner (It's on anytime I drive) but I shut down anyway, killed the ignition and coasted over to the shoulder. Now I'm getting that sick feeling. I pop the hood for a visual check. I check the oil... looks great, checked the belt and it's fine. Then I see it..... the rubber hose from the air fitting on the passenger side of the motor had come off the metal tube. I put the hose back on, no noise. Whew! Dodged the bullet this time. Now I have to wonder what made it come off, that's pretty irregular. All the other rbber connections have a clip, this one didn't. I can't remember leaving it off when I had it all apart. Then again, I can't remember if there was even one on there. Can anyone verify if the J shaped hose on top of the passenger side valve cover that wraps around the oil fill cap and connects to the back of the valve indeed has a clamp or not? The other end that merely connects to the aluminum tube does, I would think that this one should as well.

Originally posted by Joe 1320
    Took the T/A this morning to drop my son off to school. The little hot rodder loves to have me drop off and pick him up in one of the hot rods. It makes the other kids drool. After I drop him off, I take my time in traffic until I can pull out on highway 66... not the famous one, but we have one here in Florida too. I turn on the road and hit it. In a momnet I hear ticking and then what sounds like knocking. Oh crap...... I check oil pressure and it's fine, no knock retard on the scanner (It's on anytime I drive) but I shut down anyway, killed the ignition and coasted over to the shoulder. Now I'm getting that sick feeling. I pop the hood for a visual check. I check the oil... looks great, checked the belt and it's fine. Then I see it..... the rubber hose from the air fitting on the passenger side of the motor had come off the metal tube. I put the hose back on, no noise. Whew! Dodged the bullet this time. Now I have to wonder what made it come off, that's pretty irregular. All the other rbber connections have a clip, this one didn't. I can't remember leaving it off when I had it all apart. Then again, I can't remember if there was even one on there. Can anyone verify if the J shaped hose on top of the passenger side valve cover that wraps around the oil fill cap and connects to the back of the valve indeed has a clamp or not? The other end that merely connects to the aluminum tube does, I would think that this one should as well.

im at work and cant look at the Hawk...but I remember, having lived under the hood of the CompTA...and dont recall a clamp on that hose.

you been hosed.............

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I don't see a hose wrapped around the filler neck. Do you see what you need here?

2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks Jeff, but 96-97 are different than 95. What shows next to the yellow dipstick on a 95 is a screw in fitting. 96-97 is a slip on rubber hose and the routing is different. Thanks anyways though.

Comment

I tried.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
            I tried.
            I appreciate it. makes me wonder why the screw on fitting was replaced with a slip on hose? Evidently the engineers originally thought it was necessary. I'm just really glad it wasn't a rod or crank bearing gone south.

Comment

Well I thought I remembered a hose going around mine too. So I went out and looked. Mine is not like Rob's. I know my car was made in May so it's a late 95. So I pulled up the .pdf parts list. Turns out there are 2 designs in 95. There was a mid year change. The 96-97 looks almost identical to the late 95. Do you have the .pdf parts list where you are now? It shows a plastic clamp on both ends. I looked at my car and it does have a plastic clamp on both ends.
              Attached Files

Comment

That's the one. The clamp on mine is MIA. It also blew off again on the way to work......

Thanks Jeff!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                  That's the one. The clamp on mine is MIA. It also blew off again on the way to work......

Thanks Jeff!
                  get a clamp on things, will ya, you cheap bastage.....

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                  Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                  sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                    get a clamp on things, will ya, you cheap bastage.....

Hey..... clamp on this wolfmutt. (!)

besides..... it's called being thrifty, not cheap.

Comment

soft hose

hi joe just a thought has the hose gone soft and this is why it keeps blowing off. like i sayed just a thought. what does the hose do is it under a lot of presure?
                      http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
                      C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
                      mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

?

joe did you find out why this hose kept comming off ?
                        http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
                        C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

Comment

Yep..... the clamp that normally holds the hose was missing. Where it went I don't know, with all the maintainance that I do it wouldn't suprise me if I left it off. Either that or it popped off. The hose is part of the air injection and it is under a certain amount of pressure. Gets pretty hot too. I put a clamp on there and no problems since.

Comment

glad to hear that sorry to drag up a old thread but it poped into my head last night while i was driving my 18 wheeler for work suprising what you think about when you are bored

Comment

Working...
                            X