Changing Water Pump.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Water Pump.

I have been trying to figure out why I have such weak power steering. Well, today I found what was the problem. I have water on my belt and the under side of my hood which is either coming from a hose or the pump (most likely the pump). This is the first real mechanical work I will be doing on my car (besides basic maintenance). I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to changing the pump and would be worth trying to upgrade to en electric water pump?
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

On a mostly stock car that is daily driven, keep the stock pump IMO.

See if it is a hose before you go through the effort of replacing the pump. Look at the weep hole on the pump and see if it is wet.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Where is the weep hole?
      1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
        Where is the weep hole?
        you can see it in this picture, right above the letter C in PCM.
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If you were squirting enough coolant to soak the belt and under the hood, you also should check the opti-spark. Big problem is when coolant or any other water gets into the opti......

When you get the replacement pump, I've drilled out the weep hole to 3/16" and intalled a 3/16" plastic hose 90 deg. elbow. Then run about 2' of vacum hose over to the steering rack, secure with wire ties. Then the next time the pump fails, it will keep coolant off the opti, and will drip at a noticable location.
          The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Well as luck would have it the first real jod that i did on my 96 Z was a water pump It sucked!!!!!. Because mine had leaked on my opti so i changes it. Got the opti in wrong twice then gave up. Long story short i spent 700$ to have some tell me that i was a Dumb A$$ and put the opti in wrong. godd luck with the pump.

Comment

Working...
            X