sts turbo or ati procharger???????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sts turbo or ati procharger???????

Ive been hearing alot about this sts turbo and Ive been to there website and it looks like Gods gift to the f-body. Does anyone have any experence with this type of turbo or know anything about it? Im tearing down my motor and was going to go forced induction and these are the 2 names that keep coming to up. This turbo seems to be putting up some inpressive #'s. Pro's, Con's?

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
    2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Originally posted by thomas
    Ive been hearing alot about this sts turbo and Ive been to there website and it looks like Gods gift to the f-body. Does anyone have any experence with this type of turbo or know anything about it? Im tearing down my motor and was going to go forced induction and these are the 2 names that keep coming to up. This turbo seems to be putting up some inpressive #'s. Pro's, Con's?
    the only real con i can see is the length of the intake tubing, its just screaming turbo lag. on the other hand it will make more hp per pound of boost since there is no belt like on a S/C. so no paracitic loss.
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

Due to the fact that it has no intercooler and the pipe has aprox. that same volume as a intercooler the lag is nil, or at worst same as someone would find in an intercooled car. Plus the pipe acts as an intercooler droping an average 20 deg off the temp at the turbo or so I read in a carcraft mag.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
      6.2L/382.97 ci
      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
      WCT-5 speed
      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
      Boss MS 18" Rims
      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
      Custom Dual exhaust
      1LE upgrade
      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Most graphs I've seen show full boost within 400 rpm. That's pretty good.

Lag, however small, would be a good thing for a V8. All the torque once the boost hits would be able to be harnessed to the ground.
        Rob
        04 GTO

Comment

I bet one could build a small intercooler box for under the car that would scoop air from under the car and force it over the intercooler, or adding fins to the pipe would increase heat disappation. The only problem I see with this kit is the loss in velocity of exhaust due to the length of pipe before the turbo. But if one were to jet hot the whole pipe it may help to keep temps up before the turbo.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by DeWynter
            I bet one could build a small intercooler box for under the car that would scoop air from under the car and force it over the intercooler, or adding fins to the pipe would increase heat disappation. The only problem I see with this kit is the loss in velocity of exhaust due to the length of pipe before the turbo. But if one were to jet hot the whole pipe it may help to keep temps up before the turbo.
            or just put a Co2 sprayer along the pipe along the under side of the body
            2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
            1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
            past rides:
            1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
            2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
            1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
            2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
            2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
            1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
            1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
            1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

There putting up some pretty good #'s and the price doesnt seem too bad. I think its a couple hundred $ cheaper than a procharger. Does anyone have a procharger and like or not like it?

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
              2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

It definitely looks unique...One thing that bothered me was the location of the intake filter. It looks like it's sitting there in the open not far behind the rear wheel. Is this meant as a roadworthy upgrade or is it for track only. If it is roadworthy how do they protect the filter from all the dirt and junk on the road?
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

It has a filter plus a special sock that is water resistant (gortex like?). I can see that one would probably have to change it more often, especialy if one is driving any kind of dusty roads, as the front wheels will kick up more dust for it to suck in.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                  6.2L/382.97 ci
                  Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                  WCT-5 speed
                  BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                  Boss MS 18" Rims
                  Custom Dual exhaust
                  1LE upgrade