Changing my flywheel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing my flywheel?

Guys my Flexplate has had it..How difficult would it be to change it out. Will I need to yank out the Tranny completely or do I just have to back it out? Any help would be great. I would rather take this challenge than pay someone if it is not that difficult.

Why do you think you need a new flywheel?
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I have a 94 TA and I first notice I was having a rattling noise coming from the tranny. I removed the pan that covers the converter. With a flashlight I can see that the all five bolts that hold the flexplate in place have accutally dug into the flexplate itself (Sort of made slots for the bolts) I can jiggle the flywheel with my bare hands. Any help?

Comment

Originally posted by 1badltl
        I have a 94 TA and I first notice I was having a rattling noise coming from the tranny. I removed the pan that covers the converter. With a flashlight I can see that the all five bolts that hold the flywheel in place have accutally dug into the flywheel itself (Sort of made slots for the bolts) I can jiggle the flywheel with my bare hands. Any help?
        Do you have an automatic or a manual? Manuals have flywheels but don't have a "converter cover". The flywheel/flexplate is held on with 6 bolts. A pressure plate on a manual is held on with 6 bolts. A torque converter on an automatic is held on with 3 bolts. I can't think of anything that has 5 bolts in it.
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Sorry Jeff 95 Yes I meant to type 3 bolts. I do have a automatic 4L60E.

Comment

Sorry Jeff 95 Yes I meant to type 3 bolts. I do have a automatic 4L60E.
            So you need a flexplate not a flywheel.

Comment

Sweet I love this Forum I learn so much from people like you thanks.

Flexplate I need to change my Flexplate anyone have any info and difficulty level on changing this?

Comment

Sweet I love this Forum I learn so much from people like you thanks.

Flexplate I need to change my Flexplate anyone have any info and difficulty level on changing this?
                The tranny will need to come out to do it. Once you have it out, changing the flexplate is as simple as changing a tire.

It might be possible to lower the transmission and slide it back on a tranny jack instead of completely removing it.

Dont let it scare you. It's really not that hard a job to pull a transmission. Theres the driveshaft, torque arm & crossmember. A few plugs, a linkage, two coolant lines and then the 6 housing bolts into the motor. If you allow the tail of the tranny to drop down low, you can use a 3 foot long extension to get the 6 housing bolts without smashing you knuckles up.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

my flywheel has a hot spot on it and the fly has about 48k on it should i replace it or would it be fine to resurface it? how much does a stock flywheel cost for an ls1 6spd?
                  1967 Camaro "Project"
                  1972 Chevelle "454"
                  1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Originally posted by RocKin1967
                    my flywheel has a hot spot on it and the fly has about 48k on it should i replace it or would it be fine to resurface it? how much does a stock flywheel cost for an ls1 6spd?
                    OH my. After what I went through resurfacing it, I would get a new one. You can get a stock one from www.gmpartsdirect.com for $173.85 for a 94-97. For some reason the part numbers for a 98-00 part # 12562765 and 01-02 part # 12570281 are coming up not found. I would NOT recommend a Centerforce flywheel. I have to take mine out this afternoon to get it rebalanced. Read this http://www.centerforce.com/faqmain.tpl#10000007 . They used a Blanchard grinder on my stock flywheel which caused it to have excessive chatter.

Comment

A friend of mine is a GM truck tech and he showed me a trick and we were able to swap the flexplate on my Dad's old caprice by just slidding the tranny back and using a long wrench. We didn't even disconnect the tranny lines. I was for something to break, but it didn't. I don't think you'll have enough room on a F-body to slide it back enough. Not that bad of a job. Just get a 3ft extention and a swivel socket for the top tranny bolts.

Good Luck..
                      2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                      1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                      2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                      2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                      2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                        OH my. After what I went through resurfacing it, I would get a new one. You can get a stock one from www.gmpartsdirect.com for $173.85 for a 94-97. For some reason the part numbers for a 98-00 part # 12562765 and 01-02 part # 12570281 are coming up not found. I would NOT recommend a Centerforce flywheel. I have to take mine out this afternoon to get it rebalanced. Read this http://www.centerforce.com/faqmain.tpl#10000007 . They used a Blanchard grinder on my stock flywheel which caused it to have excessive chatter.
                        add another part onto the list.... lol thanks man, looks like theirs only a handful of shops that can actually resurface a flywheel right.
                        1967 Camaro "Project"
                        1972 Chevelle "454"
                        1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Working...
                        X