355 v 383 Whats better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 355 v 383 Whats better?

Well i want to upgrade my motor for a turbocharger application and i want my LT1 to withstand the boost anywhere from 7-18lbs of boost?? I will be going low with the compression (8.7:1) unless anyone has a different opinion....i was wondering what would be better a 355 or 383??....I want the car to be driveable if i wanted to go to a movie or the store. I will be driving the car often but not an everyday car like (35miles to and from work). Which rebuild should i consider and which type of pistons, rings, crank, rods, ect......
    As far as heads i have something in mind like AFR heads from thunderracing.com.......i would appreciate anyones opinion
    Thank you
    1995 CamaroZ28; A4(rebuilt vette specs w.2000stall),richmond3.73w.auburn rear, Eibach dragcoils w.airbag, alumn. driveshaft w.racing yokes, subframe/ control arms/ panhard, flowmaster/"loudmouth" y-pipe, Edelbrock headers shorties (nickelchrome of course), MSD ignition&coil, March pulleys, K&N CAI, Accel injectors & 255lph pump, LT4km, Garnatelli MAF, HPP w.160stat

Originally posted by HottRodZ28
    Well i want to upgrade my motor for a turbocharger application and i want my LT1 to withstand the boost anywhere from 7-18lbs of boost?? I will be going low with the compression (8.7:1) unless anyone has a different opinion....i was wondering what would be better a 355 or 383??....I want the car to be driveable if i wanted to go to a movie or the store. I will be driving the car often but not an everyday car like (35miles to and from work). Which rebuild should i consider and which type of pistons, rings, crank, rods, ect......
    As far as heads i have something in mind like AFR heads from thunderracing.com.......i would appreciate anyones opinion
    Thank you
    Well theres always the saying...."theres no replacement for displacement."
    Personally I think the 383 will make more power and more you street car a little faster than a 355
    1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

bigger is better.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

You might as well go 383, there is very little difference in price (depending on what type of crank you get), so you might as well pick up the extra cubes.

Randy
        99 TA "RBLUTA" - NBM, M6, Whisper Lid, SLP Fan Switch, 160* Thermo, SLP LM, BMR STB & LCA's.

***SOLD*** It will be missed!!
        93 Formula "FRMLAV8" -383 Stroker

Comment

Hey, I might be a little biased, but I'd go STROKER all the way! My first car sported the 355, and I noticed little difference than a stock 350 (but a big difference than the 5.0 305!). 100% sure go with 383. And it's nice to say, "It's got a 383 stroker."

As for the kit, mine has an Eagle kit, which is very good. But you can go better if you wish. Lunati makes a kit that includes crank, pistons, and rods. You might be able to find one for around $1000 if you're lucky, but they can go much higher than that. The most common application of the Lunati kit is the LS1 GM motor, but it can be used for many applications. I am no expert, just a kid, but this is what I've learned.
          '86 IROC-Z
          383 stroker: AFR 195 heads, KB 11.5:1 hypereutectic pistons, scat crank/Eagle rods
          TPIS Mini Ram injection system, 58mm, 24lb/hr
          "borrowed" T-56 and 3.73 rear
          2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

New ground fx, bra, Borla tuneable quad tip w/headers
          MSD ig, 1.6 rollers, accel, moroso

Comment

My vote is for the 383 (6.2L) the torque is awsome!

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
            Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
            6.2L/382.97 ci
            Custom PROM Dyno tuned
            WCT-5 speed
            BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
            Boss MS 18" Rims
            Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
            Custom Dual exhaust
            1LE upgrade
            Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
            In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

DeWynter this message is for you...

You must have one heck of a motor under that car of yours. I've got the same and just joined this board. I'm just wondering if you've ever considered upgrading the TPI system for something a little stronger? Before I finished my 383, I had a hard time deciding which system was the best for the money. Well, I went with the most expensive (TPIS Mini Ram direct TPI replacement), but there are numerous options such as the really awesome looking Holley Stealth Ram injection system. I'm sure the TPI does you fine as it would anyone, but I can almost guarantee an upgrade would increase your peak HP by a minimum of 50 and lower the required RPM to make it.
              '86 IROC-Z
              383 stroker: AFR 195 heads, KB 11.5:1 hypereutectic pistons, scat crank/Eagle rods
              2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

Comment

Well I used a program called Engine analyzer Pro to build it first. The biggest problem with the stock TPI isnt the runners as everyone likes to say but rather the Base intake plate for it. I am in the market to got an aftermarket base plate. I dont run my motor over 4500 so the TPI system I have (91) is more than sufficent as the motor only pulls 536 CFM max at 5500 RPM which is getting close to the max of the stock throttle body but not the runners or base plate. (197.17 CFM per runner with base plate attatched) I may be able to increase max HP but I wanted a torque monster as thats where it is on the street. I dont drag race hardly ever so max HP was only attainable in the 5000 + RPM range and 98% of the time im in the 1000 to 4500 range. this motor makes 345-352 TQ at 1000 RPM, and thats what I wanted
                Oh and I was looking at getting a 52mm throttle body too.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade

Comment

Yeah, the more sophisticated injections aren't really needed on streetable cars. I drive mine everyday and on the highway, never go above 4000. So my system really isn't necessary, I just wanted the capability if I ever wanted to boost my ego. I'm still a kid, you see, so I'm still egotistical.

My old 5.7 had TPI and ran like a charm. I just learned then about the runner concept and didn't want limitations, even if it was in the 5000+ range. As a base of figures, I try to simplify runners to say that the shorter the better. Is that always the case...I'm sure there are exceptions to every rule, depending on other motor components. But I think the TPI has a 17 inch runner, most 4 barrel carburetors have 4-5, and my mini ram system has about a 3 inch runner. So that's why I went with the TPIS mini ram.
                  '86 IROC-Z
                  2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

Comment

TPI runner with base is 13.275 Inches plus five for the head. so your 3 inch is actually 8 if you want to get technical But ya for the street mine is great Only thing left is to get bigger injectors, looking at the 30# range as I dont like the duty cycle on my 24 # ones, at high RPM they are running in the 80% duty cycle range. Which is to high for me! Plus I really like the way my Intke looks! I hand polished it and the runners, which I will never do again.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                    6.2L/382.97 ci
                    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                    WCT-5 speed
                    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                    Boss MS 18" Rims
                    Custom Dual exhaust
                    1LE upgrade

Comment

hand polished must look sweet. That's what I need to do to most of my engine compartment. I'll tell ya, the sweetest intake I have ever seen is one Holley made all aluminum LS1 intake and the nicest polishing I have ever seen. Made me want to dump an LS1 in the 3rd gen.
                      '86 IROC-Z
                      2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

Comment

My next mod will be the t-56 swap as I think my WCT5 wont take much more

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                        6.2L/382.97 ci
                        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                        WCT-5 speed
                        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                        Boss MS 18" Rims
                        Custom Dual exhaust
                        1LE upgrade

Comment

Highly recommend that! My T-56 is the best transmission I have ever had. I was nervous about doing all the mods and putting non-matching parts together because I am certainly no genious. But it all worked out great.
                          '86 IROC-Z
                          2000 SS hood ZR-1 rims

Comment

Working...
                          X