Alternator HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator HELP

hey i really need some help im new to the board and the f body universe....i bought a 86 trans am off my buddy that he swapped the 305 for the 5.7 350 and the alternator **** the bed so...i need some help on what alternator i need...ampege and make for this engine cause its the only thing keepin it off the road....
    and can i buy it at like autozone or pepboys or something?

Simple.... Autozone or Discount auto will cross referance the exact part you need. They will just ask what year, make, model, engine and bingo. BTW, I edited your post..... it's a family type board so you'll have to watch what you post. Hope this helps.

Comment

alternator help

i know about the cross reference but in 86 the car didnt come with a 350 it wasnt an option....so....if i gave them the info 86 pontiac trans am and they say engine ill say 5.7 350 theyll say doesnt exist....cause they were only 305's so do i have a problem?

Comment

I understand that the 350 wasn't offered that year. If the conversion were done properly, all the accessories should have been transferred over for the previous 305. The external dimensions of the 350 are identical to the 305. What would be a PITA is if the complete donor motor were dropped in, accessories too. Doubtful that would be the case as the low hoodline usually requires specific mounting brackets. Simply bring the alternator to the parts store and compare it with the new one to make sure the mounting ears are correct.

Comment

Working...
        X