how hard to replace intake manifold gaskets 1994 T/A LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hard to replace intake manifold gaskets 1994 T/A LT1

When I pulled the transmission for clutch replacement, I noticed the back of the intake is leaking. There was some oil underneath the car and on the transmission. I have the transmission and bellhousing cleaned as well as underneath the car. I'd like to replace the intake manifold gaskets at this point, but I've never done an LT1. I'm a decent wrench turner, just not that familiar with the newer stuff. So basically, I just want to know how hard of a job is this....?

Thanks....

Jody
    1994 Trans Am GT, LT1, M6, Hurst Shifter, Leather, Eagle Wheels, Flowmaster cat back, !CAGS, 160 stat, Best ET 13.73@100 -- Updated mods: SLP CAI, SLP clutch kit, Nitto tires, Lou's short stick, SLP leather knob

It's not too bad a job. I did mine just after doing my clutch as well. If it leaks oil on your new clutch, it's all over.

The intake is easy to remove, the trick is to throw away the front and rear gaskets. Substitute with black AC Delco RTV. Lay a thick bead, and let it set for 20 minutes before installing the manifold. Make sure you drop it strait down onto the RTV. It's also a good idea to insulate the EGR tube with a muffler bandage. It is heat from the EGR tube that drys out the seal at the back of the manifold and makes it leak.

There are some great write-ups on the procedure. Here is one that Ken (Wolfman) did.HERE is a version of it.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

If you have ever done a SBC intake, you won't have any problem. One thing nice about the LT1 is that it has no coolant going through the intake.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys..I've done several SBC intake swaps, installs, etc. I was just curious if there was a difference on the LT1 before I get started. Looks like I have another project....

That's a great write-up by da wolfman....thanks Ken....
        1994 Trans Am GT, LT1, M6, Hurst Shifter, Leather, Eagle Wheels, Flowmaster cat back, !CAGS, 160 stat, Best ET 13.73@100 -- Updated mods: SLP CAI, SLP clutch kit, Nitto tires, Lou's short stick, SLP leather knob

Comment

For some time savings, you'll need a specialty tool....... A disconnect tool for the metal to plastic union of the fuel line. That's where it comes apart and the whole intake, injector's, fuel lines etc. can be pulled out as a whole.

Comment

I used the install guide on projecttransam.com when i did mine and it was very helpful. Lots of pics in the walkthrough. Just make sure you get a gm fuel line disconnect and use permatex ultra copper high temp RTV. Good luck

Bah didn't realize Joe mentioned the fuel disconnect
            1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Ok, is it better or just easier and less costly to use rtv over a gasket?

Is there a drawback to using a gasket with a bead of rtv on it over just using rtv?
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                Ok, is it better or just easier and less costly to use rtv over a gasket?

Is there a drawback to using a gasket with a bead of rtv on it over just using rtv?
                If you use the front and rear gaskets, it will leak. The only way to seal it is with RTV.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Just rtv? Or a gasket with RTV?
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

You use the gaskets to seal the manifold to the heads and run a bead of RTV at the front and rear to seal off the rest of the manifold...
                    Attached Files
                    1997 6-spd WS6 Trans Am

Comment

Just RTV at the front and back, no gaskets. Use the side (manifold to head) gaskets only..
                      Tracy
                      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                      Current Mods:

Comment

Working...
                      X