converter question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• converter question

a pal of mine has a 97 formula which he races he has cai and a cat back(loudmouth) and a zex 125 nos system. he is thinking of fitting a controler to the converter lockup system so he can get direct drive when racing ie launch shift into 2nd lock the converter and do away with any power loss in the converter will this work and will it make a differance
    http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
    C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
    mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Originally posted by bigtow
    a pal of mine has a 97 formula which he races he has cai and a cat back(loudmouth) and a zex 125 nos system. he is thinking of fitting a controler to the converter lockup system so he can get direct drive when racing ie launch shift into 2nd lock the converter and do away with any power loss in the converter will this work and will it make a differance
    It will work and make a differenence but only for a short time. Locking the converter like that, especially under nitrous is going to make the stock converter go bye-bye. Lucky if it doesn't take the trans with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
      It will work and make a differenence but only for a short time. Locking the converter like that, especially under nitrous is going to make the stock converter go bye-bye. Lucky if it doesn't take the trans with it.
      sorry joe i forgot to add that the guy has a upgraded converter and trans (he has his own trans shop)
      http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
      C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

Comment

You might want to send Timelord a PM. I believe he did it. http://www.f-body.com/forum/member.php?u=336
        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Like Joe said. We have done this on Syclone and Typhoons for a long time. You'll pick up one or two mph in the 1/4 mile. However, it is very hard on converters.
          LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Yeah Norm, the GNs are about the same. 2 tenths in locking the converter.

Comment

when i spoke to my friend at a car club meet i told him what you sayed and he is on about fitting a converter with i think he sayed 5 lock up clutch plates would this do the trick or is he wasting his time?

Comment

Right, multiple plates is how you do it. Just be aware that it becomes hard on the drivetrain and trans to shift with the converter locked, or lockup at wot because, unless the rpms (power cut) drop at just the right time, something, somewhere has to slip, break, or bog just as in a manual clutched car

It's as simple as grounding a wire that runs from the PCM to the tranny. I believe it's pin 11 on the blue connector of the pcm. It is a tan/blk wire going to pin T of the transmission connector. This is good to know if you go to a dyno, cause, otherwise the torque and hp will be skewed by the converter. Now, I'm not too sure about 95 and later cars which still use the pwm solenoid - I believe that might have to be grounded too, but can't remember if the two valves are in a series. Hopefully, he already has this disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                  Right, multiple plates is how you do it. Just be aware that it becomes hard on the drivetrain and trans to shift with the converter locked, or lockup at wot because, unless the rpms (power cut) drop at just the right time, something, somewhere has to slip, break, or bog just as in a manual clutched car

It's as simple as grounding a wire that runs from the PCM to the tranny. I believe it's pin 11 on the blue connector of the pcm. It is a tan/blk wire going to pin T of the transmission connector. This is good to know if you go to a dyno, cause, otherwise the torque and hp will be skewed by the converter. Now, I'm not too sure about 95 and later cars which still use the pwm solenoid - I believe that might have to be grounded too, but can't remember if the two valves are in a series. Hopefully, he already has this disabled.
                  he sayed he is thinking of using a b&m part like the ones used in 700r4 convertions on older cars thanks for all the info and keep them coming

Comment

Working...
                  X