Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever heard of Blanchard Grinding for Warped Rotors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever heard of Blanchard Grinding for Warped Rotors?

I have a problem that every car I own ends up getting warped rotors. Warped meaning the pulsing you feel when you are coming to a stop. I just did a brake job on my winter car about 4 months ago and those brand new rotors are pulsing now. Same with my Trans Am.

Anyways heres an article that talks about the true meaning behind the pulsing, and what to do about it:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

It talks about having your rotors "Blanchard Ground" or sanding them yourself with "Garnet Paper"

Has anyone ever heard of this? I have never heard of blanchard grinding, nor have I ever heard of garnet paper! I have two cars that need the rotors worked on, and I have been advised not to just take them in and have them cut.

Anyone have an experience on this?

Thanks!

...Tim

I believe blanard grinding is more for grinding flat plates. I would think a lathe would be preferable since it cuts the material circularly rather than straight like the blanchard grinding. I think it would be kind of dificult to set up a rotor on one as well.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

I was a machinist for over 10 years and while I have never worked in an automotive shop, I have never heard of using a Blanchard grinder for grinding brake rotors. Picture a cup shaped grinding wheel mounted upside down on the motor. Mount your part you want to grind on a table that spins. Swing the motor over the part. Lower the head (or raise the table) till it touches the part you want to cut. Start the part to spinning. Slowly feed the part into the wheel. The thought of running the grinding head into the raised area where the flange is scares the crap out of me. I've had grinding wheels explode on me before.

I've read article that said that most brake pulsations are caused by heat spots on the rotor. I'm not sure if that is true but I do know that if you put big enough brake rotors you won't have the problem. The problem is getting the heat out of the rotors. You're not going to get much cooling through the spindle so most comes from the air. That's why they have those vanes in the rotors. All car manufacturers with the exception of someone like Lamborghini use the bare minimum they can get away with on brakes. It sucks. I put Lincoln LS7 (Mustang SVO) brakes on my 85 Mustang GT and it fixed the problem. The brakes were bigger than an F150. The brakes on the Camaro are about half the size of what was on my Mustang. BTW I had over 150,000 miles on the original brake pads on my Mustang and they didn't need replacing when I changed them. I hope putting LS1 Brakes on my LT1 will help. They are bigger.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
      X