Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterpump is toast, replace Opti as long as I am in there??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterpump is toast, replace Opti as long as I am in there??

My waterpump is leaking (I assume) out of the weephole after 56,000 miles on my LT1. I haven't checked the weep hole yet, but I mean come on, what else would spray coolant all over the pulleys hah.

Anyways, I always had a problem with my car missing at high RPMS. Now the other day the car took about 5 seconds of cranking to fire. This never happened before I noticed the water pump leaking.

I am scared I might have toasted the opti, or at least got it dirty to the point where it might give me trouble in the future?

As long as I am tearing things apart, should I just throw another Opti-Spark unit in there as preventive maintainence? I would hate to have to take the water pump off twice because I found out a few hundreds miles down the road that my Opti did get wet enough to damage it.

Thanks for the info! Sorry to add another Opti-Spark post to the 300 of them out there already!

...Tim

i would...actually, we did... when my motor spun # rod bearing at 29k miles, we put a new water pump and opti on it... under warranty... hee hee

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

And replace the drive seals in the front cover or else you'll be doing it all over again later.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
        And replace the drive seals in the front cover or else you'll be doing it all over again later.
        mine didnt have seals, it had sea lions..........................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
          mine didnt have seals, it had sea lions..........................
          My mechanic told me I blew a seal.

I told him to fix my car and leave my personal life alone.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Drive Seals?

Drive seals? Which ones are you refering to? I haven't had this apart before so I really don't know what to expect. I've never replaced a water pump that was driven off of a cam shaft, that went through an Optispark! hahha

...Tim

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
              My mechanic told me I blew a seal.

I told him to fix my car and leave my personal life alone.
              Oh my goodness....what is really going on here?
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Both the water pump and the optispark are driven off the engine mechanical assembly. The water pump drive shaft protrudes though the front cover, the optispark literally sets into the front cover and both have an oil seal very similar to a front crank seal to control oil. The two seals are less than $25 bucks for the pair at GM discount dealers.

Comment

Working...
                X