Autometer Trans Temp Gauge???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autometer Trans Temp Gauge???

I got a trans temp gauge and read the directions and have either ead them wrong or need more information

How do you braze or weld a brass fitting to an aluminum pan??
    I LOVE COBRA'S -
    THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Brazing is rather easy but hot. If it were me I would just tap a hole and put a fitting in it so that you can thread the probe into the fitting and be done. Either way you will have to take the pan off, and if you haven’t ever brazed and don’t have the equipment (acetylene torch, brazing rod, face shield etc.) its easier to just drill a hole tap it and add a fitting then thread in the probe and be done. Just make sure you use some kind of tread sealer.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

What kind of fitting did they provide? Is it a pipe thread?
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I'm pretty sure there is a plugged hole on the 4L60E that can be used for the temp sensor. No need to weld it into the pan. Check Shoebox.... he may have a picture of the plugged hole on his Tech Pages website.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I actually got an autometer trans temp gauge put in my car about a month and a half ago. Being that i have no experience installing gauges, i didn't want to accidentally screw anything up on my car, so i had it done profesionally. I know for a fact that they didn't have to weld anything to put it in.
          black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

What size it the sensor? This port is 1/8" NPT:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You can buy an adapter. My autometer water temp gauge came with the sensor and a few different fittings to make it universal. I rec. putting it in a stock bung. I wouldn't drill into the intake and tap it, that would make for possible future leaks.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I'd get a "T" fitting and put it inline to the radiator. If you put it in the port on the side of the transmission, you might not get a flow of fluid across it. If you don't, you'll only get a local temperture.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                  I'd get a "T" fitting and put it inline to the radiator. If you put it in the port on the side of the transmission, you might not get a flow of fluid across it. If you don't, you'll only get a local temperture.
                  He has a trans temp gauge, not water. I was using water temp gauge as an example. Unless you meant to say tie into the radiator?
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    He has a trans temp gauge, not water. I was using water temp gauge as an example. Unless you meant to say tie into the radiator?
                    I would put it in the transmission coolant lines that run from the transmission to the radiator. Sorry I thought that was obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                      What size it the sensor? This port is 1/8" NPT:

http://hp.autometer.com/products/ult...ic_gauges.html

Oil Temperature
                      140°-300° F
                      3/8" & 1/2" NPT adapter, and 1/8" NPT electric sender.

I guess I got lucky?
                      I LOVE COBRA'S -
                      THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Working...
                      X