Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Header Wrap/Header Coating article...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Header Wrap/Header Coating article...

Hey everyone,
    I stumbled accross this on another forum. I doubt that its going to surprise anyone, but its fun to read anyway.

Exhaust Heat Barrier Tech Article
    No F-Body right now

Originally posted by Mark B
    Hey everyone,
    I stumbled accross this on another forum. I doubt that its going to surprise anyone, but its fun to read anyway.

Exhaust Heat Barrier Tech Article
    ask Tom Byrne of TomByrneMotorSports about header wrap. he had a car burn up because of it.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Interesting article, which appears to confirm that, in addition to being SAFER than header wraps, the cera-metallic coatings also perform better.

I would argue with one statement made in the article, which seems to perpetuate the myth that wrapped headers corrode/rust because the wrap traps moisture. In fact, the wrapped carbon steel metal corrodes because it is operating at a much higher surface temperature because of the wrap, and is at a temperature where the iron in the tubeing will start to combine with the oxygen in the ambient air. I've seen people argue that "I live in the desert in Arizona, so my headers won't rust under the wrap....." brappppppppp.... wrong! They will rust because the metal temperature is at the point where they are oxidizing.

Avoid header wrap at all costs.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Nice article; it further confirms why I like to talk crap about header wrap and would rather do it properly with a coating.
        - Polo Green 1993 Formula 6-Speed
        - Moroso Intake, Hooker Catback, 3.42s, MSD Digital 6, Pro 5.0, TB Bypass, Lakewood Rear Control Arms, Torque Arms & Mounts, 2000 SS Brakes, C5 Vette Wheels, Koni Adjustables, Hooker Super Comp LTs (not installed... yet.)
        - 13.6 with just gears and exhaust

Comment

I can vouch for the effectiveness of coatings. My Turbo Buick has ceramic headers and a jet hot coated downpipe. The two parts, once installed lowered the temperature in the engine bay by a considerable amount. Not only that, they have been on the car for years and not a trace of rust. i used to bake plug wires so severely just from being close to the pipes (not even thouching them) that a set of wires would last me one season. Now I get at least 2 years out of them. That's with ultra hot gasses from a turbo no less!

Comment

Working...
          X