Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trans Am vs Mustang....who will win this race??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
    Especially those high output V6 cars like the picture. LOL
    Yeah, but did you see the stickers? You cannot mess with the stickers! He would kick your rear!!

Maybe if you went and got some stickers you'd have a chance, but no way stock.
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      Yeah, but did you see the stickers? You cannot mess with the stickers! He would kick your rear!!

Maybe if you went and got some stickers you'd have a chance, but no way stock.
      rotflmao So, go for the windshield banner, racing stripes, flames...and a huge set of tips for the rear!! rotflmao
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Just for reference, here are a couple timeslips of 5.0 Mustangs:
        1990 stock 5 spd hardtop
        60': 2.508 // wow what kind of tires did he have??
        660: 10.098 @ 70.98 mph
        990: 13.065
        ET: 15.578@89.475

1984 5 spd k&n filter, exhaust
        60': 2.434
        330: 6.709
        660: 10.214
        990: 13.197
        ET: 15.75@88.2

1992 5 spd exhaust
        60: 2.567 // another poor launch
        330: 6.834
        660: 10.301@70.674
        990: 13.271
        ET: 15.757@91.623

Then the Vortech 5.0...my first race at the strip ever
        60: 2.030
        330: 5.525
        660: 8.326@88.431
        990: 10.735
        ET: 12.768@111.854
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

The one that jumps out and grabs me the most is
          2003 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra 4.6 12.90
          Jeff... 12.90 is a pretty average time for that car. I believe 12.7-12.8 is more what a good driver should be running, and I know of a couple times a 12.6 has been hit. Those things make massive power and torque... they just need a good driver to put that power to the ground.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I don't have any positive numbers off the top of my head cuz i really don't care about ford...but i do know this. I know someone who not too long ago got a '95 5.0 automatic.....can't even chirp the tires no matter how hard he tries

I raced him once, by the time i was at the end of second (i have an a4 as well ) he must have been at least 4 cars behind me.
            black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

there is no question that the mustang would be the slug in this race. I have had my share of racing the 5.0's and the 4.6 even the new gts. i have smoked many 5.0 with exhaust, one even had headers, it was nt even close, the new gts are like 1.5-2 car minium i have lost to two new body style cobras, one on the street and one a tthe strip, it ran a 12.9 i ran a 13.8.
              1994 firebird formula

no need to talk. i can walk the walk.

Comment

I have seen factory fox bodys run low 15's and maybe a high 14 with a good driver. But I also have seen some factory freaks run low to mid 14's stock. A budy of mine hade a 89 gt 5sp and it had 190k on the clock and he ran mid 14's on it and I beleive it was all sock but he bought it like 4rth hand or something like that. My 96 and 97 lt1's would crush most stock and lightly modified mustangs. I would actually play with them and before shifting to 2nd let off the throttle and jump on it a couple time till they caught up and then struck 2nd and see-ya! My $ is on your car as long as you run it right. He may get you out of the hole(as we all know its easier to get lucky with a supermodel than it is to launch a f-body ) but you will pass him a little later and go on to win.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
                2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

man ford blows lol.... so when is this race going down??? i wanna hear indebt details so i can show my ford lovin friend wut f-bodys r about . good luck man.
                  1967 Camaro "Project"
                  1972 Chevelle "454"
                  1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                    That site said that a 94 Probe GT only runs .2 slower in the 1/4 mile than a 94 Mustang GT. How does that work out? It also said that a 427 Vette is only as fast as my car. I thought the 427 Vette's were running high 12's

EDIT: Just noticed this-

1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula 6.7 15.10
                    1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.6 14.00
                    Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                    SOLD- Kinda miss it
                    94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                    SOLD- Good riddance!
                    2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Reminds me of a race from a light I had once with a 12 second mustang while driving my GN. He was next to me rowing through the gears, barking every gear change while under the spray. I was accelerating at about half throttle, just kind of looking over to his direction casually checking out his ride. I quickly got bored and brought the hammer down. Walked him but good. The look on his face was priceless once he realized that during my first couple of gears, he was being toyed with.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        Reminds me of a race from a light I had once with a 12 second mustang while driving my GN. He was next to me rowing through the gears, barking every gear change while under the spray. I was accelerating at about half throttle, just kind of looking over to his direction casually checking out his ride. I quickly got bored and brought the hammer down. Walked him but good. The look on his face was priceless once he realized that during my first couple of gears, he was being toyed with.
                        I remember a race I had with a grand national in my 85 Mustang GT. I was behind him when the light turned green. We were both turning left onto a 4 lane road. I punched it first and pulled up to his door. He nailed it when he saw me trying to pass him. It was a dead heat race up to about 70 when we both let off of it. I don't know what year it was. I don't know anything about them except it was black.
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I remember a race I had with a grand national in my 85 Mustang GT. I was behind him when the light turned green. We were both turning left onto a 4 lane road. I punched it first and pulled up to his door. He nailed it when he saw me trying to pass him. It was a dead heat race up to about 70 when we both let off of it. I don't know what year it was. I don't know anything about them except it was black.
                          How new was your 85 GT and what work did you do to it? Any times? Because that almost sounds like an 84-85 GN...they weren't all that fast. 86-87s were 13-second cars outta the box (low 14s depending on who you ask, but I stick by high 13s). Fly out here in a couple months, I'll let ya give her one good rip...you'll fall in love
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                            How new was your 85 GT and what work did you do to it? Any times? Because that almost sounds like an 84-85 GN...they weren't all that fast. 86-87s were 13-second cars outta the box (low 14s depending on who you ask, but I stick by high 13s). Fly out here in a couple months, I'll let ya give her one good rip...you'll fall in love
                            It could have been an 84-85. I have no idea. I remember a funny badge on it that looked like a turbo or something.

No times except a stop watch and a marked off quarter mile. Very low tech and inacurate. The times that were measured were between 14.2 and 14.5. 0-60 times around 5.5 seconds.

The mod list was extensive. Talk about that disease. Tremec 3550, ram clutch, 3.55 gears, the heads were mildly ported by me with a hand dremel. The cam was a B303B I think. 480 lift 280 duration 111 centerline. Stock 1.6 rockers. true duals (85s had a single cat and dual mufflers) with Accel converters and 3 chamber flowmasters. I had a 1" rear sway bar which seamed to help the off-the-line a lot. It had all 6 Konis off an SVO and all the SVO brakes. It had the stock Holley 600 carb that had a lot of tinkering in it.

My 85 Mustang would eat my 95 Camaro by at least a car length up to about 35-40. After that the Camaro was faster. I say was because I think with the 6 speed and the 3.42 gears and the BMR stuff the Camaro is faster off the line.
                            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I don't know what year it was. I don't know anything about them except it was black.
                              That's the cool thing about them. In a plain wrapper, you can have anything from mild to wild and the unsuspecting never know until it's too late. They all look pretty much the same to the observer. The first ones weren't intercooled, the later ones were.

Did you happen to see the cover car on this month's GM High tech perfromance?

8's with a streeter. That's what I'm sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                                . 86-87s were 13-second cars outta the box (low 14s depending on who you ask, but I stick by high 13s).
                                Back when mine was close to stock and with an old school Kenne Bell chip went a traction limited 4.7 second 0-60 on radials (measured with a g-tech pro). Just thought I would throw that in there as a comparison. Don't know what ET that would equate to. I'm sure someone must know the formula.

Comment

Working...
                                X