Has anyone ever done this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever done this?

I am thinking of installing an electric water pump and then installing a flow meter to have the ability to monitor the status of coolant flow.

Has anyone ever tried this?

If so let me know. If not let me know your opinions please.

While I havent done this, I have had much experience with flow meters in the oilfeild. The trick will be to find a flow meter that is big enough not to restrict flow but small enough to fit under you hood. You will also be opting for an electronic one to monitor in cab I assume. You will also want to put it as close to the pump as possible to give you the most accurate reading. I am unsure where one would want to put it on an LT1 to get best flow readings as it flows into the engine, but I would guess the easiest place would be right at the water neck.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Why not just watch the temperature gauge? Isn't that what really matters? What do you intend to gain from a flow gauge that the temperature gauge wont already tell you? If the flow stops, the temp will go up. If the temperature spikes you can assume the flow has stopped!
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Here's a link to a discussion of monitoring electric water pump operation, from the camaroz28.com "LT1 Engine Tech" forum.....

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334803

Thread was started based on a new "amps" monitoring system, that is unfortunately rather pricey ($115). The manufacturer of the device made a few posts to the thread.

Assuming you are only after a relatively crude measurement of flow, a simple turbine meter or pitot tube (annubar) setup would not be particularly intrusive. But it isn't going to be cheap.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X