cai or catback?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cai or catback?

I am planning on gettin an slp cai as well as loudmouths. Working part times doesnt exactly give me enough money to get both at the same time. (well i could but im a tight waud) I wonder if i should get the cai or the loudmouths 1st. The cia is alot cheaper, the best deal I found was like 179 and 13 shipping but I ordered some hooker long tubes so I figure I should do all the exhaust stuff at the same time. So i guess just tell me which I should get 1st or If i should just get both of them at the same time. Also where can I get lm the cheapest, the lowest ive seen is like 314.

It all depends on personal preference really, but I would get them both myself as long as you don't mind scrimping until your next paycheck. If not, go with the CAI, TB air foil (http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...00&BIG=22100-1) and maybe a new intake elbow (assuming you don't have either or both of these already). Also, doing the throttle body coolant bypass is a good free mod as long as you don't worry about the cold weather. If you decide to go with the LoudMouth, get a good high-flow cat while you're at it (again, if you don't have one ready already). Have you dug into the suspension and chassis yet? If not, LCAs and SFCs would be good to consider next. Good luck man.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

If you're doing longtubes, I'd say the loudmouth is your priority. You won't see the optimal gains from that combination though until you can get more air into the engine i.e. CAI. I'd say do the headers and exhaust at the same time, do the CAI as soon as you can. Just curious though, why do longtubes so early on?
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
        Just curious though, why do longtubes so early on?
        Well 1st of all to make my car louder. It has flowmasters on it right now from the previous owner. I heard the lm sound and liked it. The thoughts of ricers sh!ting thier pants when i drove by them was a good enough reason for me. I hadnt thought of changing my muffler untill i heard lm so the long tubes were originally to make my blowmasters sounds louder. Now I guess its to make ricers crap thier pants.

Comment

heh I have loudmouth with longtubes.....you wanna talk about turning some heads lol

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
          lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

Comment

96z28, get the exhaust bro. That should be the first mod, IMO. It looks so much nicer than the stock tips, and the SOUND. I did the CAI first, and I was wishing I did the exhaust first. Exhaust is performance you can hear. You can do little bolt ons, but if the car doesn't sound mean it isn't as fun.

Cat-back!!
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Didn't notice you got flows. Well, the loudmouth looks awesome back there too. Flow's don't look that hot and they get rusted around the edges.

Magnaflow tips look awesome. 3.5" polished SS.

And installing the cat-back the same time as the headers won't save you much time. Cat-back takes about an hour to install if you have all the tools you need.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Yup...exhaust first. Better looks, sound, and power in one mod. Also look into the coolent bypass. Free mod...only takes an hour to do at most and it'll give you a good 6 HP. It's been proven and dyno-tested.
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                  Yup...exhaust first. Better looks, sound, and power in one mod. Also look into the coolent bypass. Free mod...only takes an hour to do at most and it'll give you a good 6 HP. It's been proven and dyno-tested.
                  I assume you mean to the crank. 6 to the tires from that sounds like ricer horsepower ratings. How do you do the coolant bypass?

Comment

Originally posted by 96z28
                    I assume you mean to the crank. 6 to the tires from that sounds like ricer horsepower ratings. How do you do the coolant bypass?
                    Nah...check here:

http://www.ws6.com/bangbuck.htm

http://www.ws6.com/mod-8.htm

Peak HP gain of 6.3...Tourque 7 ft-lbs. Click on "Speed Menu" for more info.
                    Joe K.
                    '11 BMW 328i
                    '10 Matrix S AWD
                    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

If you look on the bottom of your throttle body, you'll see a coolant line on each side. You get a piece of hard metal line, slightly bigger than the inside diameter of the coolant line, and put both coolant lines on that piece of hard line, one on each end. You can plug the holes on the throttle body also if you like. Real easy, proven gains (esp. when the motor is warm) and free. I think Rob (shoebox) has some pics on his site.
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by 96z28
                        You're killin' the whole ricer think bro.

Comment

Working...
                        X