Rear end popping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end popping

I was driving today and noticed when i was taking off and slowing down i could get a consistent popping noise from the rear end,maybe a little worse when slowing and turning but does it either way, it sounds like you were kicking a tire or flipping it with ur finger, i checked all tires and wheels, this afternoon it didnt seem to do it much on the way home but i tested around with it and found that on hills, just lugging it up them it would do it a couple times,and then on longer hills at times it would pop 6 or 8 times consistently.I put the car on jacks and tried it and no noise,so i drug the brakes to simulate a hill and i could get it to do it again with the brakes on hard almost choking out the motor.It is definately coming from the rear end,i just replaced the rear u-joint,(old one looked fine) and noise is still there.I had 3.73 gears installed about 800 miles ago and no problems till now.I am thinking possibly it is in the limited slip??.The car has 135k now and im sure ithe limited slip is stock.Who makes the limited slip pack for GM?,someone told me it was auburn.If anyone has any ideas or has experienced this problem any help would be appreciated.
    95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

Ok , i removed the inspection cover tonight on the diff and found nothing bad.There was a few small pieces of metal in the cover but not too bad for a new set of gears breaking in.With the brakes on hard and the car off the ground it pops regularly,sounds like its coming from the back seat area?? but it isnt coming from the rear end(i think).With the popping noise going i can listen at the diff. and its quiet as a mouse.I am about to pull my hair out, its soo hard to track it down because the exhaust is soo loud.If anyone has any ideas let me know.Im goin back down and see if i can tell where its comin from.
    95 trans am, golen engine 383 ,140k,6spd, procharger 12psi supercharger,racetronix fuel pump, 58mm BBK throttlebody,hooker long tubes,crane HI6-DSR ignition box,crane ps-92 ignition coil ,true duals, 60lb injectors,3.73 GM gears,csr electric water pump,edelbrock strut tower brace,descreened maf,ls1 aluminum drive shaft,centerforce clutch,accel extreme heat wires,lt4 knock sensor,autolite 104s ,hurst short throw shifter,8-01-05- 02 frt end and taillights,ws6 rims,shiny black paint job!!.

Comment

If its coming from the back seat area maybe a u-joint or a bad tranny mount?
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

sometimes the clutches in the differential do that. if you add a bottle of the gm rear end additive it will go away. i always ran two in mine, even when the stock 3:42's were in there.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Ok, i think i may be on to somethin.I tried to find the noise again and located it at the left rear wheel.After closer inspection i found the axle seal leaking so i removed the wheel and started the car on jacks.Under hard braking the pop was still there but it got much louder this time and i am sure it is in the left rear wheel.I removed the brake caliper and tried to check it with only the one brake but i couldnt simulate a load on the car that way, the other side just stopped instantly.I removed the seal and inspected the bearing, it felt pretty good, a little loose between rollers, compared to the other side .I am gonna install new seals and bearings tomorrow and try again.If that doesnt do it i am thinking it may be in the caliper but i am really hoping it was in the bearing.As for the rear end, i cannot hear a peep out of it,(thank god)it was very quiet, i know it could resonate but the pop was coming from the left rear im sure.Any more help or ideas are surely appreciated.I alreadyy bought 2 bottles of GM aditive this time so i know that cant hurt.

Comment

Working...
          X