Major f body peoples w/n

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major f body peoples w/n

Anything in particular to look for to determine if I do or do not have an LS6 block? I know the shade of the metal cast was a lil different and part number different......but what are the shades of the block? grey/ dark grey/ silver/grey I dunno

Is there anyway to find out this info??? maybe an RPO code

AMF RACING: Friends don't let friends drive junk

01 black ss #0966
    lou's short stick, slp lid and cold air, smooth bellow, centerforce, loudmouth, 3 in. y pipe, flowtech long tubes, BMR STB, SLP 4.10's, polished zr-1s, MSD wires, T-6 plugs, and upcoming goodies....Tee-Hee

I thought all the 2001 and 2002 LS1 F-bodies had the LS6 block...
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Check the casting pad, located on the back of the left hand deck (driver's side), above the transmission flange. a cast number of 12561168 will verify an LS6 block cast in Nemak Mexico. This is duller in look than the Canadian LS1 block. Somewhere between 10 and 25% of the last two production years had the LS6 block.

Comment

What are the differences between the two blocks? Advantages? Disadvantages?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

I think an easier way to tell is by looking at the passiside of the block above the water pump and below the face of the head, the LS1 block has a circular-shaped indentation, the LS6 block doesn't have this indentation
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

Working...
          X