two connections to ACC in fuse box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two connections to ACC in fuse box

I'm thinking about connecting the new electric cutout wire to the ACC power slot in the fuse box to the left side of the dash. The problem is I already have a homemade DRL kit hooked up to this slot. Can I simply use the same ACC for the electric cutout power source - just join the two wires ? Or could this possibly overload something? Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Since they are both switched devices, I believe you could hook them up to the same spot without a problem. Neither will function when the other's switch is flipped, and I don't believe they both draw enough power to cause a problem...but don't quote me on that lol
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

How much current do the electric cutouts draw?
      What is the stock fuse size of the ACC fuse? (wire gage size to that fuse would be better.)
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

wear are you mounting the switch for the cut out ? i put mine in the cup holder in the consol and picked up a switched feed from the radio so it is only powered up with the key on. word of warning do not atatch the gray wire that goes to the cutout (the end that looks like a head phone socket) togeather until you are finaly happy with the location as it is very hard to get them apart also watch the conections on the botom of the switch the crimps wernt very good on mine and the wires came apart good luck and enjoy
        http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
        C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
        mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

Jeff, I have no idea how much current the motor on the cutout will draw
          I do have a fuse on my DRL wire, and the cutout has it's own fuse. But I have no idea on the stock size of the ACC fuse and/or wire. I'll have to research that one.

Steve, you raise a good point. I could simply turn off the switch to the DRLs when I adjust the cutout butterfly.

bigtow, I'm not sure where to mount it. I thought about drilling a hole near the cigarette lighter, but decided not to drill any holes. Then I thought under the dash, but I'm not sure how that would end up. I've also thought under the seat, or in the console storage...but I'm still considering other places. Also, I can't quite put it in the ashtray/coin tray because I already have 2 more switches mounted there. Did you drill a hole near the cupholder, or just leave it free there? Do you have any pics?
          Thanks for all your guys' feedback.
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

You could probably leave the DRLs on when you adjust the butterfly and not worry. If both lines are fused, then it will blow the fuse before damaging anything...hopefully lol.
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

hi i did mount it in the cup holder but i had to drill a hole in it and remove some plastic from underneith as you know the switch is quite bulky i am not sure how to post a photo so if you pm me your e mail i will try to get some photos to you also i did consider the ash tray that way you can hide the switch under the flap. also also i recomend you do as they say in the instructions run a bead of sealant around the closing faces of the valve as mine suffers from a small amount of blow by because they tend to suffer from wear in the shaft which causes the butterfly to flutter and rattle i hope this helps
              http://www.pontiacdriversclub.co.uk/ keeping it pontiac in the the uk. 93 formula a4 ZR1 rims
              C A I , B M R torque arm lower arms panhard rod and sub frame conectors borla adjustble with Q T P valve and no cat WHAT NEXT ?

big burn out movie nats 2003 burn out contest
              mirror burn out movie top ten burn outs

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll mount it somewhere else. I really don't want to drill any holes. I'll probably put it somewhere hidden for now, then later build something to mount it on.
                I just put a layer of RTV sealant on the edges of the mount plate. Hopefully, when it closes, it will completely seal, and give it some padding if it ever gets loose.

Comment

Working...
                X