gm to msd harness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gm to msd harness

im going to try an msd wiring harness for my ignition retard box. the msd part number for the harness is 8876. msd's site says that autozone doesnt carry it. has anyone ever tried one of these harnesses and how much do they generally run. i think this would be my best bet because my msd boxes usually fry when im sitting in traffic so if i could simply just plug the stock ignition back into the coil after the box failed, i would be golden. i was origionally going to try to just put in a few relays and switches and do alot of slicing but i think this msd harness is a much better bet. also my msd box(es) keep frying i tried mounting it in the pass side kick panel with a 3/16 hose from the manifold to it but it was running way too rich. i think its the length of the hose i ran about 6 feet of hose from the manifold then i turned it over and it was runnning real rich. im thinking if i just mount it in the motor compartment where it origionally was but with some sort of heat shield. or maybe i might just need a thicker hose running from the map to the msd box. anyone ever had this problem before with the 6BTM box? thanks!

-chris

The MSD harness is a good idea, works great. Probably overpriced, but a lot neater than a bunch of splices. Take the part # to the JEG's or Summit online catalog. Summit's shipping is so good that you get your part in a day or two.

Can't address the specifics of the BTM model, but I mounted my 6A on the divider panel for my CAI... the one that separates the engine compartment from the air filter below. It was on the engine compartment side, but I had no problems with it in over 50K miles.

How about mounting it in the passenger fender, where the horns and the heating vacuum bottle are located. That would be about the closest point outside the engine compartment relative to the MAP sensor.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Here's the part at Summit...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...Ntt=msd%2D8876

I would also recommend Summit. Great customer service, fast delivery, hassle-free returns (don't even need to call them)...I've been happy with their service since I started using them, which was almost 3 yrs. ago. I'm not a big fan of Jegs (wasn't impressed with their customer service), thus the reason I don't recommend them. Good luck man.
      Steve
      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I run the harness as well. I mounted my MSD box next to the battery, no problems in 37K miles.

Comment

harness

you have the 6btm box joe? this is the 2nd msd box ive gone through in about a year or 10k miles. i would like to run the box somewhere in the motor compartment but im afraid of water and the heat penetrating to it.. however you said you had no problems in 37k miles, maybe it was my electrical connections as well, im definately going to buy the gm-msd harness. one more question, on my hei coil, the clip that has the wire connections which connects to the hei coil, the black wire which is ground i believe has about 2 strands that i soldered another ground which is going to my msd box (from the coil). that clip i cant think of the name, does the msd wire harness come with another, otherwise i have to order another hei coil plug clip. ill see if i can get a picture to show you what part im talking about. i think this poor ground connection is what led to both my boxes demises because i was reading on a saleen forum that many other people have had problems with the 6btm box due to electrical connection/issues. i think that will solve my problem but i need to order that clip portion which attaches to the coil plug.

thanks -chris

Comment

Working...
          X