No announcement yet.

SLP Maf question...Ken, Joe or anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP Maf question...Ken, Joe or anyone?

Hi all,
    It has been a long while. I still have the Hawk. My question is: I have a SES light that came on 5 days ago. I called the dealership and they said to check my gas cap then wait 3 days.
    Well I did that and the light is still on. Went to Autozone and their scanner didn't want to work on my car. The last time this happened was when I did a header install. The front O2 sensor went bad. The dealership took out the code and on my way I went.
    Now I have checked the spark plug wires. I have been using mid grade gas. My bills only afford me this type. The cars seems to be running fine. But I do smell gas sometimes. So I was wondering if my SLP maf was causing my car to lean out too much to compensate for the mid gas?

Thanks again guys. It is good to be back.

Adam H. 2002 T/A Firehawk#536 M6

Don't know why autozone couldn't scan the car. Perhaps try another store? In any case, that ses light could be many different things. It's kinda critical to get the proper code. The gas smell could be the charcoal canister or an overly rich mixture. If you think the code was just a glitch, you could pull the fuse to the ECM, that will clear the trouble code. If the SES light comes back on, the fault is continuous and needs attention. Yes a ported maf can mess with fuel calibrations.

Comment

SLP Maf

Thanks Joe,
      Autozone tried twice to get it to read. They told me to go somewhere else.
      They said that their scanner worked sometimes. They need a new scanner.
      Anyway thanks again.

Comment

You can get an OBD-II code scanner from Harbor Freight for $40.

Some scanners require power from the ALDL connector. If the fuse is blown, the scanner will not work. Don't know the details of the LS1 cars, but on the earlier models, its the same fuse that supplies the cigarette lighter. Might be worth checking.

I'm not sure why the SLP MAF would be affected by the grade of gas you are using. All the MAF sensor does is measure the mass of air that is flowing past the wires.... it has no way of knowing what kind of fuel you are using. And there would be no logical reason for any part of the system to lean the A/F ratio in response to the grade of fuel. If anything, excessive knock detection as a result of inadequate fuel octane would only get worse if you leaned things out. You would want a richer mixture, or less timing to compensate for knock.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          You can get an OBD-II code scanner from Harbor Freight for $40.

Some scanners require power from the ALDL connector. If the fuse is blown, the scanner will not work. Don't know the details of the LS1 cars, but on the earlier models, its the same fuse that supplies the cigarette lighter. Might be worth checking.

I'm not sure why the SLP MAF would be affected by the grade of gas you are using. All the MAF sensor does is measure the mass of air that is flowing past the wires.... it has no way of knowing what kind of fuel you are using. And there would be no logical reason for any part of the system to lean the A/F ratio in response to the grade of fuel. If anything, excessive knock detection as a result of inadequate fuel octane would only get worse if you leaned things out. You would want a richer mixture, or less timing to compensate for knock.

what my elder said...........

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
          Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
          sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
          X