Need a front plate braket...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a front plate braket...

My life is moving on and I'll be leaving the Navy soon. Chances are I'll be moving to an area where I'll need a front plate. I've decided I'm not drilling two holes into the front of my car. I seem to remember an alluminum plate mount that bolts to the underside of the front end though. Anyone know where I might find this??

I was also thinking about going with the same option that Ken used with his car where the plate is mounted to the air damn. Don't know if it'll attract more attention from the cops though...Any opinions?
    Joe K.
    '11 BMW 328i
    '10 Matrix S AWD
    Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

I live in upstate NY and don't even bother with the front plate or the bracket. I think it looks better without it. I take my chances with the cops and suprisingly they don't look twice at it. My roomate is a cop and said they probably won't bother you about it if you're not doing anything stupid to get pulled over. You just have to keep in mind of what cops are around. One town i live near called Nassau the cops will pull you over for going 1 MPh over. Thats were the town gets all it's money is from tickets. When i had a 95 Formula without one i got nailed. The cop saw me and just sat across the street and waited for me to pull out. He wrote me tickets for a front plate and tinted windows. I've stayed away from the town with my 99 and everywere else i've been fine.
    99 Black WS6
    99 Black Ski-Doo Mach Z
    94 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comment

I think slp makes on that mounts from the underside so there won't be holes in the front.front plate bracket
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
      Traded in: 1998 Z28
      http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

With mounting it to the air dam, i know Ny atleast has laws about the height of the front plate n so forth. You might want to look into the v&t laws about that.
        2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
        Traded in: 1998 Z28
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

just do what i did take a few screws bolt it right up to the fin under there.

http://roclife.perception.cc/nixie95 <<< click that if the image doesnt work, for some reason they never do on this site. its the picture is on page 4.
          -Nick-
          95 A4 Z28

Comment

Thanks guys...

I'm not sure exactly where I'll be living by the end of this year yet. I'm looking seriously at the DC area though. Virginia law states that the plate must be clearly visible, but doesn't go into details like NY. We'll see...

I found out that afterthoughtsauto.com also sells the plate mount. I might get one just in case....If the law isn't specific, than I'll just bolt it to the air damn and see how it goes....
            Joe K.
            '11 BMW 328i
            '10 Matrix S AWD
            Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

in ny the fine is only like 50 bucks and idk its not that bad. . . odds of you getting pulled over for that well unless your 18 and theres a girl in the car its not gunna happen.
              -Nick-
              95 A4 Z28

Comment

Living in virginia myself, I can testify that our laws suck. They will bust u for loud exhuast, loud music, too dark window tint, no front plate, neons, gutted cats But.................... you pretty much can do whatever as long as you dont mess with the cats because you dont have emissions here the cops just stick the thing up ur pipe if u get pulled over for bein loud.
                Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
                Thanks guys...

I'm not sure exactly where I'll be living by the end of this year yet. I'm looking seriously at the DC area though. Virginia law states that the plate must be clearly visible, but doesn't go into details like NY. We'll see...

I found out that afterthoughtsauto.com also sells the plate mount. I might get one just in case....If the law isn't specific, than I'll just bolt it to the air damn and see how it goes....

Comment

Wisconsin law requires a front license plate but I haven't put a front plate on any of my leisure cars. I did put a front plate on my 86 Camaro at one point when it was my daily driver.

I have never been pulled over or ticketed for the missing license plate. My father once took the front plate off his 1983 Hurst Olds and replaced it with the H/O commorative plate. He got a ticket that week.

I guess it depends on your luck? Maybe no plate is better than a novelty plate? At least with no plate they are less likely to notice it, vs a novelty plate?
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
                  X