any ideas appreciated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any ideas appreciated

hello fellow f-body people. I am a new member though i have viewed this forum off and on for years. I now need to see if anybody has advise. I have a 93 Z28 auto and just recently it has developed a high rpm problem. as it reaches the 5000 or so rpm mark it has a strong miss and occasional pop from exhaust. have noticed a flame with the pop. feels to be ignition to me. i know of the common opti-spark problems and replaced it wee over 50k miles ago. my thought is that it may be going out again. only problem i have seeing that is that they normally just go completley out. if anybody has seen this problem and has an idea please let me know.

thanks, Larry

I'd say it's the opti. Could just need a tune up though.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

They dont normally go completely out. It is very common for optisparks to die a slow death. Chances are your opti is going out again.

Did you buy a brand new delco unit or a rebuild of some kind? Did you replace the entire opti, or just the cap and rotor? Was the part warrented?
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

i put a brand new complete gm unit on it when it went out the first time. and needing a tune up is unlikely, only 10k on plugs and wires. does have original coil though.

Comment

I'd check everything else first, before replacing the Opti. To get a flame out the exhaust, you have to be dumping raw fuel into it. A misfire would do that. Cross-firing on the wires would explain it, for example. Could be anything from plugs, wires, coil, IC module, harness connections, corroded wire terminals, weak engine/computer grounds, and yes, maybe even the Opti. But I wouldn't jump to the expensive fix until I had ruled out the cheapeer ones.

Do you have an SES light on? Have you scanned it (short the ALDL with paper clip on your 93) for codes that don't turn on the SES light?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
          X