No announcement yet.

tranny questions... Injuneer, anyone???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny questions... Injuneer, anyone???

M6

When I go to take off, I hear this slight grind. Sounds like a bad bearing or something. I am going to get it up on stands and check the fluid level. I also noticed that when I hold it at around 2500 rpm or 3000, and I feather it out and give it more gas, it just wants to grind. But if I hold it at 3 or 4K rpm, I can pop it and it takes off fine. I heard from another camaro driver this isn't normal.

I am going to drop the trans and put in a new clutch in a few months. I was wondering how much it costs to have one of these rebuilt. Maybe a high performance rebuild, that will take roughly 500-550 flywheel HP. Price for a standard rebuild? Thanks guys, I want this thing to run perfect before I put more $ into performance parts, like my LT4 kit. I just noticed this. If this has to be fixed first, then that's what has to be done.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

ALSO, can you fill the tranny fluid from the top of the trans, or do you do it from underneath? Can I just pull the shifter and fill it up, or is there another way? Couldn't find anything in my haynes, or Rob's site. I know you usually fill manuals from the top, but I just want to be sure..
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      ALSO, can you fill the tranny fluid from the top of the trans, or do you do it from underneath? Can I just pull the shifter and fill it up, or is there another way? Couldn't find anything in my haynes, or Rob's site. I know you usually fill manuals from the top, but I just want to be sure..
      You can fill it from the top through where the shifter mounts. Take the fill plug out of the side, put a drain pan underneath it, pour ATF in until it comes out the fill hole. Then put the plug back in it.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        You can fill it from the top through where the shifter mounts. Take the fill plug out of the side, put a drain pan underneath it, pour ATF in until it comes out the fill hole. Then put the plug back in it.
        Once fluid comes out it's full?

What fluid does it take? Gear oil or ATF?

What about that grind? It shifts smoothly, goes into first with ease, but when I give it gas and let off the clutch in first gear, it grrrrrrr's. Doesn't want to take off. Taking off in first is hard. What could it be? I had a bad synchro in my car once, and that made it hard to shift and put in gear. This car shifts perfect, and it's only when I take off. I can put it in first going 15, let off the clutch and go, but I can't do a smooth in with the gas out with the clutch... What's up?

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
          Once fluid comes out it's full?

What fluid does it take? Gear oil or ATF?

What about that grind? It shifts smoothly, goes into first with ease, but when I give it gas and let off the clutch in first gear, it grrrrrrr's. Doesn't want to take off. Taking off in first is hard. What could it be? I had a bad synchro in my car once, and that made it hard to shift and put in gear. This car shifts perfect, and it's only when I take off. I can put it in first going 15, let off the clutch and go, but I can't do a smooth in with the gas out with the clutch... What's up?
          Gear lube = dope = LSD. Oh sorry that was another thread. LOL. It uses ATF Dextron 3.

I'm not sure about the noise but mine makes a little noise under acceleration when the rpms are low too. I'm wondering if the input shaft bearing is going bad. I've heard of it happening before.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

well i called D&D performance and they quoted me $220 for labor plus parts. That equates to about $800-$1000 for the rebuild without the Viper Input shaft.

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
            Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Where do you live? (You might want to add that to your profile so people can you recommendations in your area.)

Comment

Southeast MI, in Dearborn. I was thinking it would cost 250 for the rebuild, and a couple hundred for the parts. I can smell something burning too. Anybody have an idea of what it could be? Bearing, gear, etc...?

Comment

Is it just first? Does it make noise as you're releasing the clutch or while you're holding it in and the shifter is in gear? High pitched or low pitched sound?
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

FYI http://www.tennesseeauto.com/t56trpaandki.html The problem will be shipping it. Of coarse you could find someone local and if they don't have or can't get the parts, you could get them from here. If you do get something from there, tell Scott you heard it from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
                      Is it just first? Does it make noise as you're releasing the clutch or while you're holding it in and the shifter is in gear? High pitched or low pitched sound?
                      It's only when taking off from First. I can throw it in first from a roll and take off fine. It's only when I'm releasing the clutch. I can push in the clutch, it slides nicely into gear, when i go to release, it grinds. It's not a pitch, it's just a GRRRRR. Pulls fine in every gear, shifts perfect. I'm confused.

Jeff, thanks for that link

Comment

I have a hard time believing its the tranny, but I could be wrong. Usually trannies would last well into the 150-200,000 mi. range at least. It sounds like its a problem getting the car to move. I'm assuming your brakes and driveline are fine?
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about it lasting longer... Doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like it's coming from the trans... I'm not sure though. Could be something in the drive line. Torque tube or something. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                          X