Brake Upgrades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Upgrades

I've been tossing around the idea of upgraded brakes on the Z for a while now. I've looked at Baer brakes along with Stainless Steel brakes, but noticed Jeff is running LS1 brakes in the rear (with fronts to come). What would the advantage to running LS1 brakes along with cost vs. aftermarket kits. Mind you, its a daily driver and not an auto-cross machine, but better brakes are a plus in my book. What would you guys do? Thanks for all the help.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Get the Wilwood 6 piston caliper kit! Will set you back $1300 I guess those are for people with deep pockets...

I know Kevin (Blown TA) has a set of Corvette brakes, which are 2 piston calipers - I think. I think the LS1 brakes have ~1" larger rotors, but are still using single piston calipers. How much are they?
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT
      Get the Wilwood 6 piston caliper kit! Will set you back $1300 I guess those are for people with deep pockets...

I know Kevin (Blown TA) has a set of Corvette brakes, which are 2 piston calipers - I think. I think the LS1 brakes have ~1" larger rotors, but are still using single piston calipers. How much are they?
      They are 1" larger rotors but they do have 2 pistons in the front caliper. The rears are still single piston.

I'm going to try and take some pictures when I do the conversion. I'll do a comparison picture.

I had a couple of things in mind for upgrading. I really liked the idea and the looks of the Corvette brakes But I couldn't find them. I had 2 thoughts running through my head. One was the price. After market brakes are just ridiculous in price. Second is if I need to put new pads on them, what do I get and where do I have to go to get them. They are not going to be using the stock pad so I can't go to a local auto parts place to get pads. I would then be forced to having to go back to 1 (maybe a few more) specific place to get them and what if they went out of business. At least with the Corvette brakes you can still go down to the local auto parts place and get pads. The LS1 brakes looks quite a bit more beefy and since parts are readily available I went with that route. To be honest the biggest problem with my brakes was the automatic transmission. Now that that is gone it is better. I paid $200 for the front brake calipers, caliper mounting bracket, and rotors. I got them from http://www.tennesseeauto.com/19to20ls1frb.html He gave me a deal since I bought a T56 conversion, LS1 driveshaft, and rear axle at the same time. Actually he gave me a deal on everything.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. So, will the LS1 brakes fit on my stock 16" wheels? Or, would I have to get 17" or larger wheels to tuck them in? Thanks for your help Jeff and Craig.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
        X