Noob looking for RS mods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob looking for RS mods

I'm looking at buying an 97+ RS this summer, so I can mod the crap out of it.
    I already have a hook-up for the motor through INTENSE Racing, but they specialize in W-,H-, and G-bodies with Series 2 motors, so they don't have anything for the tranny, body, or suspension on the Series 2 RS's.

I'm looking at doing a motor swap, from the N/A motor that the RS comes with, to the S/C motor that the Gran Prix GTP came with in the last generation. It's a fairly straight-forward operation on that end, because the block is the same.
    The motor package that I'm going to be getting from INTENSE should put out well over 500hp, so I need to know if the 4L60E will take that kind of power or if I'm going to have to go to an aftermarket tranny.
    If I do go aftermarket, what are my options for an automatic? Is there a good 6-speed auto out there?(I can drive stick, rather well in point of fact[learned in big balky F*rd truck], but I'm lazy, and most of my racing will be bracket)
    Should I go to a 4-link rear, or is there an independent rear available?(I do want to be able to go out and flog the twisties, too)

I figure that with the RS, I'll save on insurance, stand out in the local F-body crowd, and scare the living sh*t out of the local ricers!

Oh, yeah, do I hafta grow a mullet? j/k
    ~Brian
    '95 SSEi, silver, black leather R.I.P.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/gonneville

Hmmm, a motor swap with a GTP motor would be interesting because of the fact that that it is set up for FWD and the camaro is RWD. Not exactly sure how you could manage it but if you can that's awesome. You might have clearence issues with the blower too because of how the motor sits under the dash. Also if you do that swap, I'm not sure how you would go about headers and such because the ones for the gtp motor will go out the the side if it's setup for RWD and I'm not sure if the f-body ones will fit properly or not.

Anywho, if you stick with the RS's motor, I'd start out with basics like a lid, then headers, and catback (im a fan of the loudmouth personally ) Once that's all done do the more internal mods like rocker arms, heads, cam, maybe a blower or turbo. nitrous is always a fav. As far as suspension is concerned, I don't think there is an independent rear setup for fbodies but I'm not sure. I'd get subframe connectors and and all that mess.
    '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
    Stock with an irratic idle...
    (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

I'm sorry... I'll bite.

With what you are likely prepared to spend, you can get a third gen, a create motor with some serious options, and then have a a good 12-14 second car on the cheap. If you want a late madel car, then by all means, go for the 4th gen.

(Why do I get the feeling I just opened a can of worms?)
      ~Cadillac

'91 Firebird Convertible
      L03
      K&N Air Intake
      TBIChips Stage I PROM
      That's about it for now...

Free Ipod? I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by GonneVille
        Oh, yeah, do I hafta grow a mullet? j/k
        YESevery f-body owner in their lifetime has had a mullet. Dont deny it, you know you have I just recently got rid of mine.
        This sounds like a very cool swap, like a different kind of GN in a way. Keep us updated
        97 SS #C007
        Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
        SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

99v6cam: Actually, the SC motor for the Gran Prix is exactly the same short block as the RS, with the same output shaft, so the trans is not a problem. Some of the accessories are mounted differently, but that's not a problem, either.
          The only difference between the FWD S/C and the RWD N/A is the heads, intake and cam. The heads and the cam are not an issue, and the intake will have to be custom anyways, because the snout for the S/C won't clear the hood, and the throttle body of the S/C motor would smack the firewall.
          So, remove the roots type blower, substitute a plenum, and add a centrifugal S/C off to the side.
          And I hate to ask, but what the heck do you mean by a lid?

Cadillac: Yeah the 3rd gen can put down good times fairly cheap, but I'm a weirdo. I want something that noone else has, and a 500hp V6 Camaro has gotta be pretty rare. As for why it has to be a 97+, I need it to have the 3.8 motor: 1) So I can get core charges back on the block and heads, 2) The 3.4 or whatever it had before 96 just won't take that kind of power, whereas there are several Series2's that are running close to 700hp. They even use the S2 in power boats, where they run full-throttle for hours at a time.
          Several members of our local ClubGP are getting 350-400hp, but they're hampered by the fact that we can't find a strong enough torque converter for the 4T65E-HD, the trans for the FWD 3.8. Without the worry of frying the TC the first time I go WOT, I can get 400-500hp, easy. And like I said, the local ricers think RS's are slow. Surprise!

I've done my homework, motor-wise, now I'm just trying nail down the trans and chassis work.
          ~Brian

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernSS
            YESevery f-body owner in their lifetime has had a mullet. Dont deny it, you know you have I just recently got rid of mine.
            This sounds like a very cool swap, like a different kind of GN in a way. Keep us updated
            HA! I knew it! Now, where's my naked-lady stickers?
            I'm still trying to nail things down before I make the actual purchase, and then it could be a year or two before I have all the components together so I can take it to INTENSE and say "Build it." It's worth the wait.
            ~Brian

Comment

Cadillac: Yeah the 3rd gen can put down good times fairly cheap, but I'm a weirdo. I want something that noone else has, and a 500hp V6 Camaro has gotta be pretty rare.

I just don't get it. Another sign that I am old?

I dunno.
              ~Cadillac

'91 Firebird Convertible
              L03
              K&N Air Intake
              TBIChips Stage I PROM
              That's about it for now...

Free Ipod? I don't know.

Comment

The only difference between the FWD S/C and the RWD N/A is the heads, intake and cam.

You're telling me the compression ratios of a forced induction motor are the same as that of a naturally aspirated motor?

And the crank, rods, and pistons are all the same too?
                Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I want something that noone else has, and a 500hp V6 Camaro has gotta be pretty rare.
                  Well, in the name of unique-ness and rarity, you are going to spend WWWWAAAAYYYYY more than you have to for 500 HP, I hope you realize that........ good luck to you, and to each his own...
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

If you want to be unique and have something powerful, put the driveline from a Buick GN in the f-bod. I remember seeing this in a magazine a while ago and it looks like a very good swap. Im not sure what would be involved in the swap but it would be sweet. Just ask the guys around here what kind of power potential those engines have. And turbo=
                    97 SS #C007
                    Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                    SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernSS
                      If you want to be unique and have something powerful, put the driveline from a Buick GN in the f-bod. I remember seeing this in a magazine a while ago and it looks like a very good swap. Im not sure what would be involved in the swap but it would be sweet. Just ask the guys around here what kind of power potential those engines have. And turbo=
                      Took the words right out of my mouth. It would also solve the tranny problem as well. With the GS package all the mods are very well defined to produce as much horsepower as you want......even in excess of 500HP.....all it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

BTW...........be very watchfull of the cops on Broad Street. My experience with the Pataskala police does not bring back fond memories.
                      Dave S
                      2000 Black Camaro SS

Comment

before you consider doing any motor work i would suggest you get real serious about teh chassis. get your self a posi and some good gears, 3.73's or 4.10's, get all new suspesnion stuff as well. keep that power under control.
                        for the motor don't worry about buying a gtp motor. the only differences in teh gtp are different connecting rods, different heads(same ports and valves, just with provisions to clear the injectors) and the blower itself. the cam/pistons/crank/compression are all teh same. you woudl save a lot of coin buying the heads and blower on ebay, rebuiulding teh short block for real boost, and throwing all new matched parts in it. then keep teh stock computer and get yourself HPTuners( www.hptuners.com ) to take care of all the programming. if you wanna do better than the super charger go with a single turbo set up, same boost across more of the rpm band with less resistance.
                        the series2 3800 is capable of handling a lot of power and staying reliable. chekc out www.camarov6.com for some good info.

later
                        tim
                        83 Camaro Z28
                        New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
                        www.NJFBOA.org
                        East Coast F-Body Nationals
                        http://www.njfboa.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Comment

Oh, about the lid thing, if it's a 97 it won't have one but the 98+ have the intake setup ontop on the radiator with a lid (you have to see to understand). This is a pic of my motor stock so you can see what I mean with the lid intake setup.
                          '99 SSM Camaro V6 M5
                          Stock with an irratic idle...
                          (218/218 .528/.528 112LSA 112IC)

Comment

Ah! That lid!

OK, clear a few things up.
                            1) The GN motor would be noway emissions legal, which may become an issue.
                            2) It doesn't really matter that the heads, crank, cams, etc. are different.
                            I just need them for core returns. They're going to be swapped out with the rest of the motor in favor of a built race-block from INTENSE with a new crank, L36 hot forged rods, new pistons, and the appropriate mods to oil-channels and cylinders(bored slightly over), 8.01:1 compression. Heads will be INTENSE Stage 3 CNC heads with Manley valves and 1.72 rockers. The cam I'm looking at is the INTENSE Nitrous/Blower cam. Still looking for the S/C but for ease of tuning, it needs to overlap the range of the MP112. I'll also be adding an air/air intercooler. And of course other mods will be made to support the increase in power(headers, aluminum radiator, electric water pump, higher flow fuel pump and injectors, lines, regulators, etc...)Final mod may be some sort of Nitrous system but I need to do some research first.
                            3) The chassis is definitely going to get it's share of attention.
                            Looking at 8- or 10-point roll cage, frame stiffeners and gussets, tubular A-arms up front. The rear will also get attention, but Iwant to see dyno numbers before I decide on gearing. Brakes are definitely going to get upgraded as well. Whoa before go, always.

I talked to the owner of INTENSE today and got an estimate of 480-500hp with this setup, and still room for improvement, so I'm gonna play with the numbers for a while before I finalize plans.

On a lighter note, my Bonneville coughed up the motor on Wednesday , so I'm selling it. The company that supplied the used motor before is replacing it, gratis, but with no warranty/guarantee. Considering my experience with THIS motor, I'll get the car back together, and try to recoup some of my losses.
                            ~Brian

Comment

Gave up on the project, can NOT find an RS around here in good shape, no matter what the price range.
                              Any way, gave up on F-body, found gorgeous Park Avenue Ultra just ing for an MP112 conversion. Big and fast is my kind of combo.
                              Keep it real. See y'all.
                              ~Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X