Sell my LT1 for an LS1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell my LT1 for an LS1?

I think this spring I'm going to try to unload my Z28. It's a great car, I just wish it had lower miles and an LS1. I love the LT1, don't get me wrong, just want to try something new.. There will always be a special place in my heart for the crazy LT1! Though, this is my second one, and I keep hearing great things about the LS.

What do you think I could get for my car? 1996 Seabring Silver , 6 speed, 102k, loudmouth exhaust, no rust, no body damage, t-tops, power everything, etc. $7k?

I'd want the same thing, only newer. Like an 00 Z28, 6 speed, t-tops, 40-60k miles..

I'll probably just throw it on ebay and see what happens.. Spring time would be the best time, right?

Any opinions or ideas?
    99 SS, MTI Lid, 3.90 gears, Hurst shifter, DMH 3" e-cutout

Spring would definatly be the better time for a better price. People want to get into a car like that when its nice out.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

In my opinion, I would stick with the LT1. It is a classic, it marks the return of horse power and essentially the muscle car. Besides the engine itself has huge history the LT1 was originally used in the 70's and released with 360 hp, then again in the '92 Vette. Of course my biggest problem with the LS1 is the fact that it is alluminum. First unless you are dealing with a super pro chances are your stuck with the original 350ci, the aluminum blocks are nearly impossible to bore out without warping them. That is the problem they had with aluminum block engines before, if it got to hot the block would warp. Of course they fixed that by inserting a steel shell inside the cylinder, but essentially screwed the stroker concept completely. It can be done...I think, I just don't think it's worth it. Sure you might get more horse power from a lighter engine to start with, but you can't work with it like you can with steel, and you sacrifice low end torque. I drove one when I was looking for my car, it was amazing, I loved it, then I drove my car and well the rest is history.

-Stiks

Comment

I'm sorry to disagree with "Master of Stiks" but LS1's with just a stock block can do amazing things. Jay has put up vidoes of a guy doing 8's still using a 346 block. To have an LS1 "bored" yes you'll need to have new sleaves but its not going to warp your block. There are plenty of guys out there with 421 LS1's that still have their stock block. A cast iron sleeve is used, but the point of using an aluminum block is to save weight and aluminum disperses heat better than cast iron will, that is why LT1's use aluminum heads. Also an LS1 will give you low to mid 13's stock and with a few mods will put you into the 12's where an LT1 won't it'll take a lot more than just a few mods to hit 12's. If you like the looks better than stick with your LT1, but most people including me like the LS1 style looks better. Also LS1's get better gas milage and don't have an opti. Its your choice, if you like the LT1 looks then stick with your car and just spend the money and mod it, but if you want lower miles and the LS1 looks\power then buy an LS1.

Also I have been proven wrong arguing about it, just look at the dyno graphs the LS1 makes just as much if not more low end power it just doesn't have the SOTP feel but its still making the power. LS1's are superiour in about every way to an LT1 the engine won't warp on you, a lighter engine WON'T MAKE MORE POWER, it has the better heads and the old style LT1 is not like 93 to 97 LT1's. Its a faster car stock for stock and with headers, cai, and cam no bolt on LT1 will take you if you can drive.
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
          I think this spring I'm going to try to unload my Z28.
          Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
          Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

Originally posted by Master of Stiks
            In my opinion, I would stick with the LT1. It is a classic, it marks the return of horse power and essentially the muscle car. Besides the engine itself has huge history the LT1 was originally used in the 70's and released with 360 hp, then again in the '92 Vette. Of course my biggest problem with the LS1 is the fact that it is alluminum. First unless you are dealing with a super pro chances are your stuck with the original 350ci, the aluminum blocks are nearly impossible to bore out without warping them. That is the problem they had with aluminum block engines before, if it got to hot the block would warp. Of course they fixed that by inserting a steel shell inside the cylinder, but essentially screwed the stroker concept completely. It can be done...I think, I just don't think it's worth it. Sure you might get more horse power from a lighter engine to start with, but you can't work with it like you can with steel, and you sacrifice low end torque. I drove one when I was looking for my car, it was amazing, I loved it, then I drove my car and well the rest is history.

-Stiks

by this whole post...?...?...?

Where did you get any of that information from?

A couple links you may want to check out:

www.ls1tech.com
            www.motorsporttech.com
            www.ls1speed.com
            www.tbyrnemotorsports.com

To save you the trouble, with a combination of bore/stroke, the LS1 has been taken as large as 455 by MTI. And the fastest LS1 right now is running high 7s at 175 mph...........
            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Jeff, spring will definitely net you the highest dollar for your sale... but don't forget it's also going to bring the highest dollar for your new purchase...

If you could bare to sell it in the spring, and then wait for next winter for your LS1 I think you would make out the best financially here............. but I know going through a summer without it would suck.

Unfortunately though, I think you might struggle to get $7K for your car right now. The market just totally SUCKS for sellers. It's a huge buyer's market. Never know though, if you find that right person who just falls in love with your car and you'll get the price you want for it.

I really think that once you experience the 70-120 punch the LS1 offers, you'll be sold on it
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Do It!

I'd DO IT! Since they don't make f-bodies anymore, this is pretty much your last chance to experience an LS1 with low miles. Pretty soon, there will be very few LS1's with low miles.....
                Darrin C
                '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

jeff, I sold my 97 T/A in Dec for $9200. I got what I dreamed out of it, although most people gave me offers around 7-7500. Now my car was in ment shape, there was nothing wrong with it what so ever. It had 67k, new tires, clutch, and all that stuff. I wanted to go to an LS1 also.
                  2001 Black WS6 6-spd, 47k. stock...I think.

Comment

If you could manage to do it it would almost be worth it to sell in spring then buy in the fall. . . . i have seen lots of nice ls1 cars go for like 12 on ebay.
                    -Nick-
                    95 A4 Z28

Comment

Working...
                    X