Problem resurfaces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem resurfaces

About a month ago I had the ignition cylinder and VATS module replaced on my car. Today it won't start and I'm not getting the security light when I turn the key. I'm tired of messing with the VATS system.

1)Could I replace the PROM with a non-VATS PROM to eliminate the problem?

2)If I can replace the PROM is there anything else I need to replace to get it to work.

car in sig
    1989 TA
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
    K&N CAI
    Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

You can just have your prom reprogramed to delete VATS, or you can mesure the resistance of the pellet in your key and get a resistor with the same value and put it jumped across the two yellow wires coming from the igniton. they come to a connector under that dash if you follow them. Just put the resistor across the two wires going to the PCM not the column. If that does not fix the problem its not VATS. If the pellet isnt working or there is a problem with the VATS it almost always brings up the security light when you try to start it. hit the junk yard and try to find another PCM chip for the same motor trany combo with MAF ( dont use the MAP version ) even if it from a different year and different car (camaro/firebird) and see if it makes any difference. also check to make sure that the chip is seated well in the PCM box. If you cant find a replacement chip PM me and I can ship you a stock one if you want to pay shipping.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

If the security light is not coming on, how do you know the VATS is the problem? It could be possible you have a different problem?
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Last time this happened was because of a VATS module going bad. Starting got progressively worse in the same manner until it wouldn't start at all. By starting problem I don't mean hard cranking, I mean that all of the lights come on and the battery is fully charged but no crank at all. After the VATS and ignition cylinder were replaced the car ran fine until last week. Then the problems started again. Really has me scratching my head. If you have any other ideas I'd welcome them. thx
        1989 TA
        Flowmaster exhaust
        Ghetto CAI

1994 TA GT
        K&N CAI
        Magnaflow catback

www.nkyfba.com

Comment

Working...
        X